Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D PDF Creation

3D PDF Creation

Ability to create 3D PDFs.

29 Comments
casquatch
Collaborator

Native PDF creation, with a 3D option.

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision. 

The Factory

SaadER-RAMI
Contributor

export pdf 3d gratuit Man Very Happy

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We've completed our review of this idea. After investigating the effort required to implement this request, we unable to add it to our roadmap at this time due to other priorities. However, we think this is a great idea so we will reconsider it as we made adjustments to our roadmap in the future. Thanks for the submission and keep voting!

The Factory

heathsimone2625
Participant

The 3d PDF functionality from Inventor would be great in Revit

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

-FDC-
Advisor

It would be nice to create a 3D PDF in Revit without having to buy third party software.

Great way of sharing the design with the Client.

Not everybody has navisworks or dwf viewers installed and a lot of people don't have admin rights but the most of them do have a pdf reader.

Tags (1)
scott_d_davis
Autodesk

You should consider using the FREE online viewer from Autodesk:

https://viewer.autodesk.com/

Upload RVT files, DWGs, and nearly 60 other supported file formats including DGN, IFC, even Sketchup files, and then you can share these for free with your client, and the client wont have to install anything! They don't need admin rights, and can view on ANY computer that can run a web browser, PC or MAC.  Furthermore, you wont waste your time having to wait for a 3D PDF to process on your machine, and you wont have to upload and download PDF's to an FTP site or other File Sharing site, or attempt to email large files to your client.  In 3D, the client can enter "walkthrough mode" to explore the model much like a video game, they can create 3D sections, see object properties, and more.

You could also explore using BIM 360 Team, which allows you to do even more with your RVT files, including seeing both 2D and 3D, without having to make PDFs, markups, comments, Live Model Review, Drawing Version Compare (to highlight the changes between versions) and 3D Model Compare (to show whats been added, removed, and changed between versions..  AND you can still share with the client for FREE. AND its available in a browser, and for iOS and Android.  BIM 360 Team is free for 30 days, and then it will cost only $10 per user per month. If you get a 25 user pack, it goes down to $6 per user per month.

https://team.bim360.com

Stop wasting your time making PDFs! You've got more important things to do! 🙂

dgorsman
Consultant

Not necessarily disagreeing with the idea of a built-in 3D PDF creator.  But I certainly don't agree with the idea that Navisworks or other software isn't an option because users don't have the proper rights to install it on their own.  Identify programs that are required, then IT provides for them.  IT departments should NOT be deciding which programs are or are not appropriate.

3D PDF isn't always effective for models outside of compact mechanical designs.  It can struggle with models covering physically large areas, and routinely generates very large file sizes.  For those who only have a PDF viewer, such as Acrobat reader, typically have limited hardware which will only compound the issue.

Radish_G
Collaborator

Hi Autodesk,

It will be great if Revit can export 3D PDF directly without any Add-Ins.

Kindly consider adding this.

With this function, we can have a better understanding of the project for everyone, for technicians, customers, ...
For sale, I think it will be great and it can help the customer to visualize in 3D what he buys or what he wants to produce. Not everyone can model in his head a 3D view of a 2D plane that he holds in his hand.
And with this feature, anyone can open 3D PDF files without the need for a viewer or anything else.
I think it's a real plus for understanding, installing / designing, selling, ... a product.

And we can save time with this feature because with a 3D PDF (and all PDFs), you do not have to start a large and perhaps slow program, or have a powerful computer to run a program requiring 8 or 16 GB of RAM with a latest-generation I9 processor.
The 3D PDF file could be displayed with any device that can open a PDF file.
Tags (1)
Yien_Chao
Advisor

you can achieve this with Bluebeam.

Yes maybe we can do that with Bluebeam, but it's expensive. Standard version cost 299€. 

It could be  so much easyer if we only have to "save as" in 3D PDF or have an icon to export to 3D PDF.

SolidWorks have this possibilities without plug-in and it's was just awesome. 

I'm talking about a function that everyone may be able to use.

Please do that update for me and for all user of Revit. 

Yien_Chao
Advisor

This is not a bad alternative but, there is a but. 

The problem with this solution "https://www.3dpdf4free.com/" that is take some times to do that, you need to explain and send your 3D files and let them do the PDF 3D.
The time is a problem in this solution, and this is also more complicated, it's more easyer to make your PDF 3D with what you want and how you want it than explain what you want and hope that will be correctly done.

But there is a bigger problem with this free solution, the Confidentiality, everyone can't send his files where he want.

In my case, for few project, i can't share my work because confidentiality is very important for our customers.

I'm glad that you bring us some possibilities, free and no, maybe it's gonna help some poeple who are looking for solution but i always thinking that have this function in Revit could be a real plus for anyone.

ipselute
Advisor

@thomas.dhellemmesZURVR: Revit can't do even simple 2D pdfs. 3D pdf looks like light-years away.

@ipselute : This is one more reason why Autodesk needs to add this feature.
To be simply more complete.

dgorsman
Consultant

3D PDF isn't as great as it may seem.  Anything beyond simple, spatially compact models e.g. mechanical designs, result in massive PDF files with mediocre performance.  Although it does require a separate viewer (Freedom), I've found Navisworks to be a far better option. 

i.cowlard
Explorer

Firstly, we have to look at why you want to create a 3D pdf. Visualisation.

This makes sense, however as a PDF file, this would be quite cumbersome on mobile devices and by nature are transportable so could create an issue of confidentiality if published by a user e.g. to LinkedIn.

Secondly, I doubt Autodesk would create this tool, especially with the investment and drive towards Cloud tools such as BIM360.

Here users only require an Internet connection, and access to the cloud model, they can perform many more functions than within the pdf environment including review of models on mobile app.

Finally, the best product for 3D pdf files is definitely Bluebeam, from which you get many more useful tools included.

Sometime $299 is not a lot of money!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report