Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worksets and Visible in all views checkbox

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
BEE_Design
3644 Views, 4 Replies

Worksets and Visible in all views checkbox

Hi!

I have divided my worksets by floors. First time using worksets, please tell me why this is a bad idea later.

My problem:

I have a team of 4 using all using local files which they sync to central. They like to uncheck the 'Visible in all views' option for the floors they are not working on. Now and again when the user sync to central, a number of things happen, but the main problem is the 'Visible in all views' check or uncheck by itself, which I cannot get my head around.

I have attached an image of worksets.

A solution would be amazing but to be honest, I'm not really clear on how to explain the problem to be honest, maybe some insight into how Worksets and visible in all views checkbox relates to each other would be enough to get to the bottom of this.

Long one, thanks for your time. Any insight would be appreciated.

Best,

SY

Chasing BIM Architect ideal in HK with GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16.00 GB RAM, Mircrosoft Windows 10 Home.
Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: BEE_Design

1) Tell your users to not touch that option of "visible in all views". That option gets saved in the central file when they sink and now the workset that Joe doesn't want to see is invisible also for Jane. Bad practice. 

2) Worksets by floor is not a good idea either (but this is just my opinion. I have seen this being used for projects of hotels). I prefer the simple approach of Shell, Interior, Site, Mass..., Links per CAD and RVT per discipline, Structural Elements by the Architect, and Named Ref. Planes. The reason is that sometimes we just need to deal with the exterior of the building, and it is good to close all the interior stuff at once, not just floor by floor, which might turn off part of the exterior walls by floor, also. Also, where are the slabs going to be? floor by floor? It's better to have all the structural elements in the same group, not by floor. 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 5
BIM.Consultant
in reply to: BEE_Design

Go to any view and open the visibility graphics dialog (VV/VG), then go to worksets tabs. You will find 3 options for visibility settings. "Use Global Setting" means it will show or not show based on the settings of workset which is in your attached capture.

The other 2 options ("Show" & "Hide") will override the settings of the workset for this particular view. In other words, it will not use the global settings.

I hope this clarifies.
Message 4 of 5
BEE_Design
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thank you Alfredo.

This solves my problem. I understand now that the 'visible in all views' checkbox is not user owned.

In regards to workset discipline, I'm still getting my head around it. My first real big hurdle was understanding - what you create in workset is owned by you. My initial assumption was "where do I assign all walls to a workset?". Getting off on the wrong foot kinda messed up my worklfow for this project. Will learn from it. Thank you again.
Chasing BIM Architect ideal in HK with GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16.00 GB RAM, Mircrosoft Windows 10 Home.
Message 5 of 5
BEE_Design
in reply to: BIM.Consultant

Thank you BIM.Consultant,

I will tell my users to use this method to change visibility of worksets. Very helpful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators