Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WALL SWEEP DOESN'T CUT OUT

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
christopher_c_donovan
1187 Views, 22 Replies

WALL SWEEP DOESN'T CUT OUT

I have made a Family profile sweep for the base of a Wall starting at the top of the foundations and finishing 400mm above the Insertion Point  i.e: Level0 in the Project.

The Wall in the Project contains a " Moon Gate" cut into the Wall using Edit Profile tools. If the Sweep is set at 60mm above Level 0 it is cut - set it at Level0 where it should be and it isn't cut. 

Quite Simply Que Passa?   Note a cornice profile sweep, again made as a Family and set approx two thirds of the way up the Opening cuts beautifully. 

NB Both the Base Sweep and the Cornice Sweep are introduced into the Project using Wall Sweep under the Architecture Tab with the relevant Profile in each Sweep Type.     

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23

Unfortunately not and I'm out in the boondocks here so no-one close by.
Helps explain the Stupidity though, my mum and dad were sisters and none of
us get out much.😉 That said I've always been able to handle pictures and
sometimes even capital letters.
Message 22 of 23

I have had another go with a Face Based [Generic Face Based] Family using a Void extrusion to create the shape of the Moon Gate.  NB In FAMILY CATEGORIES AND PARAMETERS I made sure the CUT VOID WHEN LOADED box was ticked

After loading it into a Test Project  I was able to place it as a COMPONENT [ARCHITECTURAL RIBBON/COMPONENT/PLACE COMPONENT] on a sample Wall. I did this on LEVEL 0 [Plan View]. 

The Void Family appeared on the Wall and I was able to control its placement horizontally using/editing the dimensions displayed when placing it and vertically by setting the elevation in the Properties Dialog box when the Void Family was selected.  So Far So Good? 

I then loaded the Plinth Family and applied a SWEEP of this profile to the base of the Wall. 

I then selected CUT from the MODIFY RIBBON, ticked the MULTIPLE CUT Box,  and then selected the Host Wall and then the Void Family - it cut the Wall. I repeated the process selecting the plinth and then the Void and it cut the Plinth Sweep. IT WORKED! 

Still having problems with the CUT Command and Multiple selection - a] getting them in the right order [CUT/object to be cut/Cutting Object?] and b] in spite of having the Multiple Cut box ticked I still have to cut the Host and then the Sweep one by one. IE Cut Host - complete operation  - start again -  select CUT etc -  cut the Plinth.

Leaving aside these selection order problems I am guessing this is the method you guys have been driving at? Am I correct? 

Message 23 of 23

Did you download and watch the GIF?

You only need to:

1. create a face based family, consists of a rectangle void, with instance dimension parameters for width and height,

2. cut the solid host with the void,

3. load it to the project and host it on the wall sweep (do it in 3d for a better visual), resize it as needed. 

4. Then it's done.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report