Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-sloped Roof

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
BigPicture045
2972 Views, 27 Replies

Multi-sloped Roof

Wanting to know the best way to tackle this roof. Can this be done using one roof?

Please see the original drawings for the roof:

20200908_105002.jpg20200908_105016.jpg

The elevations keep getting flipped upside down regardless of any attempt to fix. 

20200908_111313.jpg20200908_111319.jpg

What I've got so far:

Multi slope roof.png

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

The main issue I am having is the different sloped roof over the front right of the house. However, this slope does not continue all the way across, so I'm not sure how roof by extrusion would create this. 

The roof above the front porch is about a 5.5/12, where as the main roof of the house which is also on the left side of the house is a 10/12. 

Message 3 of 28
syman2000
in reply to: BigPicture045

I would extend the 8/12 and 5.5/12 roof over to the main roof. Then do join geometry so you get the outline. After that you edit the main roof profile and then you pick the edge where the lower roof meet.

ROOF OUTLINE.pngROOF.png

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 4 of 28

I see an 8/12 as well.   

Post what you've got.  Also, do you have full Revit with Modify Sub-Elements Tools? 

Message 5 of 28

I'd use :

• a Roof by Footprint with Cut Off made at the level of the lower Roof ridge height
  • and the second Roof by Footprint on Top of the first one with the same slope as the bigger slope of it..
  • Finally Join the two roofs..

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 6 of 28

Sheda.png

no shape editing necessary.  

...but you can use alittle bit of everything one this one.   Defined Slopes, Roof by Extrusion, Slope Arrows.  Fun.  

Message 7 of 28

FWIW @BigPicture045 :

Shaped Edited using 3 Split Lines:  

Roof Shaped Edited 1.pngRoof Shaped Edited 2.png

...if you have full Revit.  

Message 8 of 28

illustrations of the method described in previous post:

Image 1.png

Image 2.png

Image 5.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 9 of 28
ToanDN
in reply to: BigPicture045

Of course.  One roof by defined slopes.  No roof by extrusion, no vertical cut, no extra roof, no shape editing.

ToanDN_0-1599592289573.png

Message 10 of 28

For this project I am using Revit LT. I am unfamiliar with "shape editing" but from @barthbradley  post it seems that that is the tool for the job.

From what I can tell, the other answers used multiple roofs.  The main issue of combining the roofs is how they join together, especially on the right elevation.  I'm thinking I can modify how I use the fascia board to compensate for this. 

Roof join .png

Message 11 of 28
barthbradley
in reply to: ToanDN

Does it work with the 8/12s?  

Message 12 of 28

I would worry about that personally. But if you want it flush top and bottom, then use a thicker roof for the 5 1/2:12.  

...of a thinner roof for the 10:12.  Six of one; half dozen of another I suppose. 

Message 13 of 28

@barthbradley are you talking about the other side? I think this is one of those things I'm just going to have to do a lot of adjusting to get it right.

Annotation 2020-09-08 150640.png

Message 14 of 28

it looks like the solution can be more simplified ....without Cut Off....as can be seen in my screencast:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/5c1da266-169f-47bb-9593-135d0f92413f

:

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 15 of 28
ToanDN
in reply to: barthbradley

@barthbradley wrote:

Does it work with the 8/12s?  

yes

Message 16 of 28

@BigPicture045 

Marginally thicker 5-1/2 roof:

R98.png

Message 17 of 28

and sections through the Roof ...2d and 3d:

Image 6.png

Image 7.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 18 of 28
BigPicture045

@ToanDN 

Something got lost in translation. The above roof examples that have been posted are not based on the reference images nor the original roof plan. On the left side, the roof does not extend past the front gabled roof. It actually recedes a few inches. 

@ToanDN When I try to modify the roof sketch, I get an error. 

CorrectCorrectIncorrectIncorrect 

Message 19 of 28
barthbradley

Yes, it still keeps the rain out with 8:12s.

RoofT2020.png

Message 20 of 28
ToanDN
in reply to: barthbradley

@barthbradley wrote:

Yes, it still keeps the rain out with 8:12s.

That is not my file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report