Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to position the sun in a specific position using Revit?

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
Anonymous
1534 Views, 31 Replies

How to position the sun in a specific position using Revit?

For our Free Open Source 3D Model of Dealey Plaza, I need to position the sun.

Its location respect to the Plaza, on November 22nd, 1963 at 12:30 pm may be determined here:

NOAA Solar Calculator Find Sunrise, Sunset, Solar Noon and Solar Position for Any Place on Earth 

The big question is: what do I do with the data obtained? I will need to do this in either 3ds Max, Revit or both.

TIA,

-Ramon F. Herrera
JFK Numbers

ramon@jfknumbers.org

This Shadow is WrongThis Shadow is Wrong

31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

Annotation 2019-12-26 092232.jpg

Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

I think I will experiment with the azimuth and elevation.

Need Dealey Plaza 1963.jpg

-Ramon F. Herrera
JFK Numbers
ramon@jfknumbers.org

Message 4 of 32
ToanDN

I can get to 1970 in Revit 2019.  Close enough?

Annotation 2019-12-26 094235.jpg

Message 5 of 32
Anonymous

@ToanDN wrote:

I can get to 1970 in Revit 2019.  Close enough?

'fraid not.   : -)

One of the fascinating findings of this project is that people have been making up numbers, distances and angles forever. For decades so-called JFK "researchers" (LMAO) have been debating whether the back shot entered the victim through T3 or T4 (whatever that means).

I knew about the Lincoln Continental: in all 3D models they lower, raise, widen, narrow the limo under the presidential asset in order to obtain the desired, pre-ordained results. However, this fudging (lying) happens all over the place. Even the height of the TSBD building (below) has inconsistent measurements. I will have to travel to Dallas (4 hours north of Houston) armed with a cheap laser gizmo, get permission from the Sixth Floor Museum to go to the roof, in order to get the exact height.

This is from a 6th. floor, so a fraction of a degree makes a large difference.

Next Phase of the ProjectNext Phase of the Project

It doesn't matter how minute a detail, people will debate it. This is the reason for my/your/our Free Open Source 3D Model of Dealey Plaza being the first real scientific study. We place all our files, everything we find and produce where they belong: in a public web server:

http://dealey-plaza.org/this-government-as-promised/ 

I am fond of saying:

"Those files do not belong to me. They belong to The People".

Thanks again!

-Ramon F. Herrera
JFK Numbers
ramon@jfknumbers.org

Message 6 of 32
ToanDN

Try SketchUp.
Message 7 of 32
barthbradley

Hasn't the Sun been in the same exact orbit around the earth for a millennium?  I mean, wouldn't the position of the Sun over Dallas on 11/22/1963 be identical to the position it was in on 11/22/2019?  

That aside, I don't think there is much Sun at 11:30PM anyways.  

Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

"Its location respect to the Plaza, on November 22nd, 1963 at 12:30 pm may be determined here:"

-Ramon

JFK Numbers

ramon@jfknumbers.org

Message 9 of 32
barthbradley

Once upon a time in Dallas, Texas...

Neanderthal.png

November 22, 40,000 years ago.

Message 10 of 32
ToanDN

Since Revit do not offer lighting/shadow data prior to 1/1/1970, you could statistically prove 1963 wasn't any different by showing such data for 10-20-30 years since 1970.  if that still doesn't fly, well, maybe skip JFK and do something about more recent assassinations. 

Annotation 2019-12-26 125950.jpg

Message 11 of 32
Anonymous

@ToanDN wrote:

If that still doesn't fly, well, maybe skip JFK and do something about more recent assassinations. 

Sorry, can't do.

Like in Titanic when Jack told Rose: "I cannot quit, I am too involved already"  : -)

Please take a look at this videoclip. Ignore the silly trailer, the important part is my comments at the bottom.

The Greatest Showman 

-Ramon F. Herrera
JFK Numbers
ramon@jfknumbers.org

Message 12 of 32
ToanDN

Didn't know you were Hugh Jackman. Sorry about that.
Message 13 of 32
Anonymous

@ToanDN wrote:
Didn't know you were Hugh Jackman. Sorry about that.

Speaking of good looking people, check this one out, with the shapely legs of a pretty lady:

Is JFK Numbers Too Good To Be True? 

-Ramon F. Herrera
JFK Numbers

ramon@jfknumbes.org

Message 14 of 32
ToanDN

I was attempting to watch it and got called up to see HR for viewing inappropriate content during office hours. You own me twenty bucks to bribing me out of it.
Message 15 of 32
barthbradley

All this sophomoric and silly “accredited” joking aside; I am wondering why the heck Revit has Sun Settings by month, day, time AND YEAR dating back to 1970? The Earth’s orbit around the Sun hasn’t changed is over 100,000 years – and the tilt of the Earth’s axis hasn’t budged in over 41,000 years. Therefore, the Sun has been the same exact position in the sky at 12:30 PM on November 22 – EVERY YEAR of Mankind's existence on this third rock from the Sun.

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous

@barthbradley wrote:

All this sophomoric and silly “accredited” joking aside; I am wondering why the heck Revit has Sun Settings by month, day, time AND YEAR dating back to 1970?

It comes from Unix internals. The 'time' family of system calls return an integer. Zero (aka "The Epoch") is January 1, 1970.

Unix Time at Wikipedia 

-Ramon The Linux Hacker
JFK Numbers

Linux Programmer's ManualLinux Programmer's Manual

Message 17 of 32
barthbradley

Okay, so just to dumb this down for those of us aren't Mensans, this is basically about clock synchronization to account for the loss milli-seconds (1.7 ms per century) due to the fact that the Earth's rotation is slowing. Right? So, the bottom line is that 12:30:00.000 PM on November 22, 1963 is not the same as 12:30:00.000 PM on November 22, 1970. But, it’s within 0.00119 seconds by my calculations. I could be wrong though. Like I said, I’m no Mensan.

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous

@barthbradley wrote:

Okay, so just to dumb this down for those of us aren't Mensans, this is basically about clock synchronization to account for the loss milli-seconds (1.7 ms per century) due to the fact that the Earth's rotation is slowing. Right? So, the bottom line is that 12:30:00.000 PM on November 22, 1963 is not the same as 12:30:00.000 PM on November 22, 1970. But, it’s within 0.00119 seconds by my calculations. I could be wrong though. Like I said, I’m no Mensan.

Barth:

I trust that the NOAA is doing a proper job.

NOAA Solar Calculator Find Sunrise, Sunset, Solar Noon and Solar Position for Any Place on Earth 

They gave us that very nice resource, let's take it for a spin...

-Ramon
JFK Numbers

Always Go to AUTHORITATIVE EntitiesAlways Go to AUTHORITATIVE Entities

Message 19 of 32
ToanDN

How does the result look and how do you plan to use it?
Message 20 of 32
barthbradley

HA! @Anonymous : I already have enough brain pain. I don't want to crunch any more numbers. Just tell me this: what is the difference between Sun's position in the sky over Dallas at 12:30 PM on 11/23/63 and its position at the same time on 11/23/70?  Is it measurable?  More importantly, would it change anything?  

BTW: what was the cloud coverage on that day?  You know it had just stopped raining prior to the motorcade arriving at Daley Plaza.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators