Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interior walls seen thru the roof of a "bird eye" model view dilemma

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
octavio2
557 Views, 7 Replies

Interior walls seen thru the roof of a "bird eye" model view dilemma

The full height interior metals stud walls and the bulkheads of a third floor are seen thru the sloped roof in a bird eye view of a building model.  The walls and the bulkheads go all the way to the bottom of the roof.  The structure of the roof of the modeled building slopes, so the roof slopes and its elevations vary.

I know that I can "attach" the tops of these visible walls to the roof, but I am concerned that if the roof slope or something in the roof changes in the future, that that will cause a problem with all these attached walls and bulkheads and will cause a mess with these attached walls and bulkheads below (do I am correct?).

A second option is to select these visible walls and "hide elements" and I was thinking about just hiding the tops of these walls that are seen above the roof.  But then I notice that the interior walls that are seen thru the glass windows are also hidden also, something that I do not want.

Question: What is the best way to hide these walls that are seen thru the roof without disturbing the walls below the roof?

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MostafaElashmawy
in reply to: octavio2

Please attach a screen shot.

Mostafa Elashmawy
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
RDAOU

Why not attach and be done with it...if later you want to modify roof and feel that those elements will be problematic, then you can detach >>> modify >> re-attach! 

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 4 of 8
barthbradley

I think what you are describing is the "phenom" that happens when the roof element is too thin.  That underlying linework disappears when you zoom in; right?  If so, the obvious workaround is to hide those elements that are showing through.  Not always possible though. You can fool with other workarounds, but that linework doesn't print. It's just seen on the screen.  So, you could just leave it be.   

Message 5 of 8
ToanDN

Attaching the walls to the roof should not affect the bulkhead if the roof
change. But you will still see the trace of the walls in 3d when you zoom
out far enough. Those won't print if you print to to raster at higher
resolution.
Message 6 of 8
octavio2
in reply to: RDAOU

Yes, "attaching" might be the quick solution and the one that I thought about at the beginning, but that usually causes problems in the future if there are too many interior walls, and also if other people work on the project. 

Was wondering if there is a quicker "safer" solution, for instance, where the "hiding" can be selectively done on the selected side that you want only (As a good example:  remember the "trim all" command of AutoCAD, where you can select the element that trims, and then right away next you can select the the side where you want all things to be trimmed, - youjust select an arbitrary point on the chosen side - and "Bingo", all the things on that side are trimmed! )

Message 7 of 8
barthbradley

Whoa! I think I missed this one by a mile, @octavio2.  Sounds like you are saying your walls are too tall -- that the top of the walls are above the roof.   Is that right? If so, I don't understand your reservation about attaching them to the underside of the roof.  As an alternative, you could attach them to a Ref. Plane instead.  Understand?  

Message 8 of 8
RDAOU

Well if you are looking into something more intuitive, you can go the Dynamo root...several options there!! example:

- You can automate the attach/detach to save yourself some clicks lol

- You can cut wall using a void which has the inverted shape of the roof

- Probably, with a bit more work, you could also edit wall profiles to match intersection curve with the bottom surface of the roof.

I still think Attach/Detach option is the easiest and quickest. I am not sure about the said future problems you said this may cause, I've never had any significant issues with that unless walls were attached to roof and converted to parts!! maybe!!! I don't really rememeber lol

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report