Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

batch updating families to new version, how are you doing it?

58 REPLIES 58
SOLVED
Message 1 of 59
Jason_S
11402 Views, 58 Replies

batch updating families to new version, how are you doing it?

Is everyone buying the app for $99 in the exchange store or open/save each one as needed?

Wish the batch file Autodesk gave out with 2015 still worked for 2017.

Thanks

58 REPLIES 58
Message 41 of 59
Anonymous
in reply to: Jason_S

I've tried the Project Upgrade .bat to no avail.  I've created a test folder for 2016 and attempted to convert to 2017, but the projects are still in 2016?  Am I missing something here? 

2018-02-26_1552.png

Message 42 of 59
loboarch
in reply to: Anonymous

You could give this a try.  Might be better than the old .bat method.

https://www.revitforum.org/dynamo-bim/36261-bulk-upgrade-families.html#post193521

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 43 of 59
ck
Explorer

Hi!

Does this still work for upgrading files to Revit 2020?

Thanks!

Message 44 of 59
EmptySaturnV
in reply to: ck

Yes it still works, but I prefer to use the dynamo script now since it seems to update the thumbnail previews at the same time (running the bat file wouldn’t update them all automatically for me). 

Message 45 of 59
BDMackey
in reply to: EmptySaturnV

Yes it still does work, and I have upgraded all my content using the .bat file.

Do be aware that currently if you upgrade families to 2020 all of the new analysis materials will be added to the family.  Autodesk is aware of this and it is supposed to be fixed in a future service pack.

Message 46 of 59
Anonymous

Just discovering this wisdom..

will this work for 2019/2020? 

Struggling to understand how to run the Upgrade ?  I thought changing the code inside the files to the relevant revit might work also but that proved ineffective 

Message 47 of 59
EmptySaturnV

Are you trying to use the batch file or dynamo?

Message 48 of 59
Anonymous

Hi Matthew,

Im trying to follow the batch file process and I haven't yet used dynamo before..

I am currently opening and saving each file from our library to 2020 and I think I will be here all week haha

Message 49 of 59
Anonymous
in reply to: BDMackey

I've been enjoying this thread and the supportive AKN forum gurus. Lots of tips. I too am about to update my company's Revit library from 2018 to 2020. I was thinking of trying the Dynamo script.

It was interesting to read about the function of adding weight to the Revit family (as opposed to possibly even reducing the file size). Wondering if 2020 adding in the analysis materials will further increase their file size???

Is it possible to add in an extra step to the Dynamo script to perform a Purge function to each family it updates?

Message 50 of 59
BDMackey

The 2020.1 update eliminated the adding of the additional materials so this shouldn't be of any concern.  However since they were added to behind the scene elements purging doesn't always remove them anyway.  You would have to go into the materials dialog and delete them that way.

Message 51 of 59
Anonymous

This batch routine works great, Brian.

Thanks for your creativity and programming skills.

Ian

Message 52 of 59
tien.dq
in reply to: L.Maas

how to use it in revit 2020 bro....

Message 53 of 59
dwane

Pleased to say that this also works with RVT2020LT also

Message 54 of 59
BDMackey
in reply to: dwane

I do not have LT but I would imagine it would work since this technique is how the programming team tests the software as changes are made.

Message 55 of 59
dwane

Sorry Brian, wrong spelling my side.
I'm running RVTLT2022 & have tried your Bat File upgrade etc.

Runs perfect!

Message 56 of 59
BDMackey
in reply to: dwane

Good to know it works with LT. I was figuring yes but would not have put money on that.

Message 57 of 59
EmptySaturnV

Is there any chance of updating this so that it updates the thumbnail preview and compacts the file?

Message 58 of 59
Jason_S

@EmptySaturnV wrote:

Is there any chance of updating this so that it updates the thumbnail preview and compacts the file?

You should try https://www.iconicbim.com/pig Preview Images Generator.   Great tool for just what you mentioned. 

Message 59 of 59
HVAC-Novice

A previous post of mine solves this (I think).

For families and simple projects batch-upgrading works fine. But more complex projects (linked, shared, arrays, and so on) are better upgraded manually since there is something that may need fixing here and there. 

It also takes a LONG time to upgrade many projects. So be aware Revit will not be usable during this process. Families are relatively fast. 

Revit version: R2024.2.1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators