Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

batch updating families to new version, how are you doing it?

58 REPLIES 58
SOLVED
Message 1 of 59
Jason_S
11344 Views, 58 Replies

batch updating families to new version, how are you doing it?

Is everyone buying the app for $99 in the exchange store or open/save each one as needed?

Wish the batch file Autodesk gave out with 2015 still worked for 2017.

Thanks

58 REPLIES 58
Message 2 of 59
L.Maas
in reply to: Jason_S

Nope, I have been using the batch upgrade utility.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 59
EmptySaturnV

I think its ridiculous that Autodesk doesn't supply its customers with a batch upgrade add-in. This should be something that is included with all releases, especially for those on a subscription. I too have been waiting to see if they would release one like they had for 2015.

Message 4 of 59
L.Maas

I have used the attached upgrade batch files. They originate from Brian form BDMackey Consulting who was great, to allow me to upload those files to the forum here (I am not affiliated to them). These files are delivered as is, so please take all the necessary precautions before upgrading your families.

Note:you have to remove the .txt from the "Upgrade_RFA.bat.txt"

Louis

EESignature

Message 5 of 59
EmptySaturnV
in reply to: L.Maas

Do you follow these steps to run it?

1. Copy Upgrade_RFA.txt and Upgrade_RFA.bat into the root directory of the library that you want to upgrade.
  2. Run the Upgrade_RFA.bat to create the file list to upgrade, famlist_rfa.txt.
  3. To launch the utility, from the library directory, drag Upgrade_RFA.txt onto the Revit icon on your desktop.
  4. After upgrading, delete all backup files from the library.
Message 6 of 59
L.Maas
in reply to: EmptySaturnV

Yes, correct. That is the procedure. And of course create backups before this process, putting them in a safe place in case we have to work on a project with the previous Revit version.

Louis

EESignature

Message 7 of 59
EmptySaturnV

Works perfectly! Thank you so much to you and to BDMackey Consulting.

Message 8 of 59
BDMackey
in reply to: EmptySaturnV

You are all welcome.  Glad they are working for everyone.  I may suggest digging into journal files as that is all this is.  They can be very powerful to accomplish many repetitive tasks are are fairly simple to create.  For this one I simply cleared out my journal files, opened Revit, opened a family, saved and closed the family.  Then I went into the journal file and cleaned out all of the data specific to that session.  Sounds crazy but after looking at a few journal files an understanding will come.

Message 9 of 59
EmptySaturnV
in reply to: BDMackey

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely look into this now.

Message 10 of 59
Jason_S

I am still unable to get the utility to work with 2017.  Been opening and saving 😞

Message 11 of 59
BDMackey

If you go to the log file generated are there any warnings?

Message 12 of 59
L.Maas

Are you sure you followed the right procedure? Attached files in earlier posts have been working for me with Revit 2017.

At what step does it not work? Any error messages?

1-If you use "Upgrade_RFA.bat" does it create  a file named "Upgrade_famlist_rfa.txt"?

Does "Upgrade_famlist_rfa.txt" contain filepath & filenames of revit families( .rfa)?

If step 1 is succesful.

2-What happens when you drag "Upgrade_RFA_2016.txt" onto the  Revit 2017 icon on your desktop?

If your libraries are on a server, maybe you can copy some them to a directory on your C:\ drive and try the proces from there

Louis

EESignature

Message 13 of 59
Jason_S

Log file? 

I drag the txt file to the 2017 icon on my desktop.  It starts Revit 2017 then shuts it down right away.  The TXT file has the path and names to the families. 

Message 14 of 59
L.Maas

I expect you drag the file "Upgrade_famlist_rfa.txt" onto your Revit 2017 icon, however it should be "Upgrade_RFA_2016.txt".

Louis

EESignature

Message 15 of 59
Jason_S

@EnlInt wrote:

I expect you drag the file "Upgrade_famlist_rfa.txt" onto your Revit 2017 icon, however it should be "Upgrade_RFA_2016.txt".

Smiley Mad

I was dragging the wrong one.  It works!!!!!  Thank you all for the help and helping me out of my dummy moment.

Message 16 of 59
Anonymous

Hello,

Very good job and thank you very much for sharing.

In the script, it would not be possible to ask Revit to register families with another name? By putting a suffix for example.

Because when Revit saves families with a new name, they can be compressed and the size of the files decreased.

Message 17 of 59
L.Maas
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, it will be possible.

The script file, a simple txt file, contains some VBScript. If you are familiar with VBScripit you could modify the script to do what you want.

You can study the journal files that are created when you start a Revit session. In these journal files all the commands you/Revit executes are documented.

So, for example, if you do a "save as" action in Revit and then look at the journal you can see which commands Revit executes to get this done.

When starting with scripting, make sure you do it on test data and make sure that you have backups.

Louis

EESignature

Message 18 of 59
BDMackey

Personally for me i have a program called File Renamer from sherrodcomputers.com.  I simply run the scripts then use this tool to rename the files when needed.  There are other programs out there that will do the similar things.  But as Loius has stated you can add VB scripts into a journal file, but not everyone knows how to do that.

Message 19 of 59
Anonymous

Thanks for your EnlInt reply, but I do not know much about VB Script. I tried to change the code, but it does not work. I will try to see this with a friend who knows the VB Script.

For the BDMackey response:
The purpose of what I want to do by changing the code is not to rename the files. I have applications for this.

I want Revit to save families with a different name. Because when saving a family or project with the same name, the file automatically gains weight.
Take the test with a family. Open it and save it with the same name (just the save command). You will see that your file has gained weight.
While if you do "save as", the file will not gain weight, maybe see decrease.

In fact, in each file, Revit maintains a sort of history which it deletes when the name of the file changes (because it is a new file and therefore without history). The same applies to project files.

There is also a 'compact' option in the recording options, but it is not always as efficient as recording with a new name.

If the BDMackey script allowed families to be renamed with a new name, the files would not gain weight. Because just on a family it is not too serious if the file has gained weight. But when you insert hundreds of families into a project, the weight of the families accumulates and makes the model of the project more cumbersome.

After the script has upgraded all the families by saving them with a new name (a prefix for example), we would have to do the housework in our family library using one of the many software that is found everywhere On the internet for:
- delete all files from families that do not have the prefix
- then use a software program to remove the prefix from the name of the family files upgraded.
And our family library would be perfect ...

Sorry if my English is not perfect. I hope that my answer is understandable all the same.

Message 20 of 59
BDMackey
in reply to: Anonymous

istarosx

That makes total sense.  I often open families and when done do a save as instead of simply saving, for the exact reason you explain.  It does make a bit of a difference and on some families it is negligible as to the size.  I also like to remove all fill patterns materials and extraneous line patterns as well (this can be done with a journal script), to not only help with the file size but to keep those items from creeping into a project file.  If you find a way to do it with out VB let me know that would be a great thing to have.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators