Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

update many files to new version and delete backup files

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
HVAC-Novice
197 Views, 1 Reply

update many files to new version and delete backup files

I found some nice dynamo solutions i thought you may be interested in. 

I neglected to upgrade all my files at once with a new Revit version. I basically upgraded a project or family when I needed it. that could have been a much older version at that point. Autodesk recommends to upgrade files from one year to the next instead of upgrading many versions old at once. So a 2015 file should be upgraded 2016, 2017... 2024 instead of 2015 to 2024 in one step. The below makes the upgrading process much easier. My future procedure will be to upgrade all files to the new version every year at once. That way I don't skip years, and don't come across some older family in the middle of a project. I do keep a copy of the old versions. 

I found this article and the scripts are based on that code. i edited them for newer Dynamo nodes (I use R2024).  Only 2 are really useful (IMHO). You want to run them out of the editor and not the player so you can select the folder.

- Batch_upgrade_families: upgrades all families in the selected folders inc. sub-folders

- Batch_delete_Backup: deletes all the backup files in the selected folders and sub-folders. You want to run that first to avoid Revit converting all files inc. the multiple backup files. You need to change the file type from rfa to rvt depending on what type you want to delete.

These work really nicely.

Batch_upgrade_anyfile: also works nice for families. BUT project upgrades in a batch are very tricky and it doesn't really do all of them and you also need to interact (deleting some things, or some other manual stuff). Depending on number and size of projects, this also takes a LOT of time. In my specific case, I  also have the elum tool plugin (lighting calc) and that add-in also updates the projects. I just gave up on batch-updating of projects and decided to just do that manually for each project. if you have central files, linked files and so on, you want to do that very carefully anyway. I just attached it since the article mentions it. it does work for simple projects, though. 

Do with it what you will. Hope this helps someone. 

Revit version: R2024.2.1
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Thanks!

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report