Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area Plans

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ZoiStathaki1
364 Views, 6 Replies

Area Plans

Hello,

Could someone explain the advantages of why choosing Area Plans over Floor plans?

I would like to take measurements for client such as Gross Sellable Area, Gross Buildable Area, and Gross Floor Area. In principle I am thinking of Area Plans instead of Floor plans, because I can draw my boundary lines <area lines> where I would like to and after that create Area schedules too.

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ToanDN
in reply to: ZoiStathaki1

Area plans are more flexible for areas because area boundary can be different from wall boundary + you can apply area rules.  You can also have multiple area schemes for different type of area plans and calculations.

Message 3 of 7
barthbradley

@ZoiStathaki1 wrote:

Could someone explain the advantages of why choosing Area Plans over Floor plans?

You don't choose Area Plans over Floor Plans. You do both.        

Message 4 of 7
ZoiStathaki1

Understood.

@barthbradley could you elaborate a little bit more ? I will do Area Plans to take Area Measurements (which are requested from client), as I can have my area boundary lines independent to where the walls are. I.e: in the middle of the wall and so on... However, for Passive Fire safety drawings (which I also need to do) my thoughts are to use floor plans as I need to have both sections and plan views. This way, I can use rooms and room tags. If using Area Plans and Area elements, my issue is that unfortunately Areas elements are 2D only.

Message 5 of 7
ZoiStathaki1

@ToanDN, It seems that my client is asking me to do quite a number of things. One of them is to have opaque Area objects. I have the feeling that Area Plans are default set to transparent..? 

Message 6 of 7
ToanDN

@ZoiStathaki1 wrote:

@ToanDN, It seems that my client is asking me to do quite a number of things. One of them is to have opaque Area objects. I have the feeling that Area Plans are default set to transparent..? 

Set the Area scheme location to Foreground.

Message 7 of 7
ToanDN

@ZoiStathaki1 wrote:

Understood.

@barthbradley could you elaborate a little bit more ? I will do Area Plans to take Area Measurements (which are requested from client), as I can have my area boundary lines independent to where the walls are. I.e: in the middle of the wall and so on... However, for Passive Fire safety drawings (which I also need to do) my thoughts are to use floor plans as I need to have both sections and plan views. This way, I can use rooms and room tags. If using Area Plans and Area elements, my issue is that unfortunately Areas elements are 2D only.

Your question is "I would like to take measurements for client such as Gross Sellable Area, Gross Buildable Area, and Gross Floor Area."  For those, you use three different Area schemes to create three different set of Area plans. 

It does not mean you don't have floor plans.  You still have floor plans and the models normally.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report