Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Architectural & Structural Grids Suddenly Offset in Structural Model Only

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
jmcqueen
350 Views, 10 Replies

Architectural & Structural Grids Suddenly Offset in Structural Model Only

I'm working in the structural model for a project.  The architectural and structural grids had been coordinated and matched exactly.  The architect sent an updated model and now all the structural and architectural grids are offset in the east/west direction exactly 1" in the structural model, but the architect is not seeing this offset in their model. 

I checked the origin in the structural and architectural model and those match.  I tried removing and reloading the architectural model, but that didn't work.  

Any idea what might be causing this offset?  

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
barthbradley
in reply to: jmcqueen

That doesn't compute. Are you saying the Architectural Link doesn't align with the Structural, but the Structural Link aligns with the Architectural?  Are you sure everyone is working with the same Links? Doesn't sound like it.  

....in one direction only? Sounds like the Survey Point Origin in the Structural Model got shifted to the left or right. 

...moving the SP while clipped will move its Origin.   

Message 3 of 11
ToanDN

That is why establishing shared coordinates between models important.  What could have happened was the Architect shifting their gridlines and the Structural link 1" whether intentionally or accidentally. 

Before jumping into solving it, ask the architect to confirm the Internal Origin alignment between their model and the Structural link on their end.

Message 4 of 11
jmcqueen
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank you both for your help!  I asked the architect to check the origin and survey point in their model.  The structural link origin and survey point are off 1" to the left in their model.  There is not offset in these values in the structural model.  Do you think this means the structural link was moved in the architectural model by mistake?  Would it correct it just to move it back 1"?    

Message 5 of 11
barthbradley

@jmcqueen wrote:

Thank you both for your help!  I asked the architect to check the origin and survey point in their model.  The structural link origin and survey point are off 1" to the left in their model.  There is not offset in these values in the structural model.  Do you think this means the structural link was moved in the architectural model by mistake?  Would it correct it just to move it back 1"?    

The Structural Link origin IS the Survey Point. The Internal Origin means nothing to Shared Positioning/coordination. It all about the Survey Point.  I explained what might have happened above in the first Post.  

...why don't you just reposition the Link and reconcile?  

Message 6 of 11
jmcqueen

Thanks.  I did read that, I just don't fully understand it.  Could the architect have moved the survey point of the linked structural model, or would that have had to be done in the structural model?    

Message 7 of 11
barthbradley

When you Link two Projects together and Share Coordinates via Acquire or Publish Coordinates, the Project's Survey Points Origins are then aligned.  If someone accidently moves the Survey Point Origin afterwards, it will drag the Link along with it.    

...if no Link is loaded when the SP is moved, it doesn't matter.  The Link IS moving too, whether it is loaded or unloaded.  

Message 8 of 11
ToanDN

@jmcqueen wrote:

Can you confirm if you link the architectural model in Origin to origin or by Shared coordinates?

Message 9 of 11
jmcqueen
in reply to: ToanDN

Origin to origin
Message 10 of 11
barthbradley
Message 11 of 11
ToanDN

@jmcqueen wrote:
Origin to origin

Thanks for confirming!

You can move the architectural link 1" so the two models align properly again, then select the architectural model and acquire coordinates.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report