Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2018 Windows 10 Home: Can not bring up Script Editor

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2283 Views, 5 Replies

Maya 2018 Windows 10 Home: Can not bring up Script Editor

Hey all I just installed Maya 2018 at work and the script editor comes up small, missing buttons, and missing file menu options. I have pasted a picture below to show you what I see when I click 'Windows > General Editors > Script Editor'

script editor brokenscript editor broken

So this does not look right so here are the steps I took to try and resolve this with no luck so fare:

1) In the Mel line at the bottom I pasted the following: "deleteUI scriptEditorPanel1;buildNewSceneUI;" This sadly did not work after running this because I still got the window that you see above.

2) Closed maya and renamed the prefs folder (C:\Users\aquamen\Documents\maya\2018\prefs) to prefs_old and restarted maya to force it to re build the prefs folder and in turn reset my panel/window preferences. This did not work still have the same problem.

3) Closed maya and renamed the 2018 folder (C:\Users\aquamen\Documents\maya\2018) to 2018_old to force maya to rebuild all its folders from scratch when launching maya. This did not work still have the same problem.

4) Reinstalled Maya 2018 after removing the program. Still have this problem in Maya 2018.

So whats going on? Short of re imaging the machine I don't rly see a way around this problem at this point. I have about ran out of ideas on how to solve this issue. I am working with Maya 2018 on Windows 10 Home at work. I have admin privileges on this machine as well and am signed into a admin account.

This is what I get when I launch maya for the first time in the script editor but I do not see anything that would suggest why this is happening:

// Warning: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/mayaHasRenderSetup.mel line 48: Failed to run file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/bin/plug-ins/renderSetup.py // 
// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/mayaHasRenderSetup.mel line 48: (renderSetup) // 
file -f -new;
// Warning: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/startup/rememberViewportSettings.mel line 29: Active stereo does not work with Aero enabled. Active stereo has been disabled. // 
// untitled // 
commandPort -securityWarning -name commandportDefault;
onSetCurrentLayout "Maya Classic";
// AbcExport v1.0 using Alembic 1.5.8 (built Jul 13 2016 18:28:45)
// AbcImport v1.0 using Alembic 1.5.8 (built Jul 13 2016 18:28:45)
// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/startup/autoLoadPlugin.mel line 35: initializePlugin function failed (sceneAssembly) // 
// Error: Unable to execute igInitialize.mel. // 
// Error: Unable to execute xgen.mel. // 
// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/startup/autoLoadPlugin.mel line 35: initializePlugin function failed (Type) // 
updateRendererUI;
// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/plug-ins/xgen/scripts/xgenUI.mel line 512: Cannot find procedure "MakeXGenHUD". // 
// Warning: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/supportRenderers.mel line 64: The renderer "arnold" used by this scene, is not currently available. The "mayaSoftware" renderer will be used instead. // 
onSetCurrentLayout "Modeling - Standard";

Thank you guys for all your help and suggestions! If I solve this on my own I will report back what I had to do so other people hopefully will find this to help them out.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

What GPU are you using and are the drivers the same as our certified hardware list?

Steps to update your drivers can be found here!

Also you may want to disable Aero to stop those errors from appearing. Steps to do that can be found here!

Please let me know if anything changes!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

@sean.heasleythank you for the tips I have tried these out and it has not resolved the problem.

A few things I did find out though is according to Autodesk Maya 2018 driver sheet (https://knowledge.autodesk.com/sites/default/files/HardwareCertificationResults_Maya_MotionBuilder_M...) the graphics card in the laptop I am using is not shown as ever being tested.

I am using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M with driver version 24.21.13.9793 (which is the latest driver) so this may be part of the problem who knows.

I have turned off all the settings in windows 10 performance system settings per the link you suggested and this did not resolve the issue either. I also still get the same errors when I start up maya in the script editor.

Thank you though for reaching out and trying to help me with this.

Message 4 of 6
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Ah ok.

Could you try rolling back your GPU drivers to an older version?

Nvidia has steps on how to do so here!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

So I found a solution to this and it took me booting into windows safe mode and checking the Output Window when starting Maya. I noticed that Maya was complaining about not being able to find the PYTHONPATH variable.

I do software development for us as well so I had a environment variable for my system paths set to look at my "C:\Python27" as %PY_HOME%. I then daisy chained another environment variable to python sub paths called %PY_PATHS% which was a collection of all my python related paths. Last I placed my %PY_PATHS% into my PATH environment variable. Maya was not able to understand this and in turn did not know where my python was installed. I tried to set it in the Maya.env file but maya was still not able to find it.

So I merged all my python paths into the windows %PATH% variable and maya was able to launch with out a problem with the script editor any more. So long story short be careful how you set your python paths in your windows environment variable. Maya now opens with out problems to the script editor and I can save files now out of maya.

Thank you for the help guys!

Message 6 of 6
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Awesome! Thanks a bunch for explaining what you did to solve this and marking it as a solution!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report