Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boss ocean - light not displacing properly

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
732 Views, 8 Replies

Boss ocean - light not displacing properly

I have an object emerging from beneath the ocean. The line where the object cuts through the surface is completely flat / straight.  I want this boarder to obey the same displacement the as assigned to the ocean shader. Where can I assign displacement to make this happen?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

Have you set up collisions properly? There's a lot of good tutorials on this that may help you.

Also, what kind of light are you using and what are you rendering the scene with?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

I used arnold skydome and arnold renderer. Also forgot to mention I used the Boss ocean cache files as a displacement map, projected on a low poly plane to keep render times low. That's not the actual Boss ocean in the render..not sure if that was clear. I'm pretty sure I set up the colider properly as I can see the wake it generated. I also used the wake cache files as a bump map on the low poly place as wellLine.jpg

Message 4 of 9
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Ah thanks for attaching that second image! It's a bit easier to see what's happening and possibly going wrong.

For one, you might want to add a bit more thickness to your model and/or change how it's animated. The fin is so thin and depending on how it's breaking the surface the result might not be that obvious.

If that doesn't change anything, I'd recommend following along with this Boss tutorial series we have!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 5 of 9
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in again to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestion I provided yesterday work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Appreciate the follow up, thanks!

I've followed the tutorial very closely and still encounter the same issue. It seems some aspect of the flat low poly plane - maybe its transparency or its refraction's is still visible in the render. This is most noticeable against objects that intersect the plane. Attached is a higher contrast to further clarify Boss2.png

Message 7 of 9
mspeer

Hi!

Please upload a scene-file.

Message 8 of 9
sean.heasley
in reply to: mspeer

Hi @Anonymous

Hmmm ok.

Like @mspeer said, when you get a chance can you please zip and attach the scene file here or via dropbox/google drive or another file sharing program so we can take a look at it?

Message 9 of 9
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report