Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vanishing Custom iProperties

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
llorden4
1087 Views, 12 Replies

Vanishing Custom iProperties

We've got 2016 Inventor Pro currently loaded up on our workstations and I've got templates setup for .idw files to populate title block information using a combination of standard and custom iProperty values.  I've been plagued with the occasional occurrence of all custom iProperty fields to just up and disappearing from the file with no means to recreate the issue much less what triggers the issue.  Today I just happened to be working with a drafter and witnessed the entire issue happen from start to finish, the process went like this:

1) Drafter opened the iProperties dialog box, all custom fields & values were present

2) Drafter edited the desired standard & custom iProperty fields, selecting the APPLY button before moving to the next tab in each case.

3) Edits were completed and OK was clicked to complete.

4) Title block information was correctly updated & displaying on screen

5) Drafter returned to iProperties dialog box to find ALL Custom iProperties have vanished.

6) Selecting UNDO failed to return the missing fields

There were no additional tasks performed between these steps.  There are no 3rd party plug-ins or iLogic rules loaded.  Has anyone else had similar disappearing iProperty issues and have any solutions/causes they've discovered?

Sorry, due to company proprietary standards I am unable to share the file for anyone to review.

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
MechMachineMan
in reply to: llorden4

Do the iProperties belong to the Model, or the Drawing file?

I often see users mix up the 2 and think they are accessing the right one, when in reality they are accessing the other.

After they "disappeared", was the title block empty? Is the titleblock populate from model or drawing iProperties?

--------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the 'Accept as Solution' or 'Like' button below.

Justin K
Inventor 2018.2.3, Build 227 | Excel 2013+ VBA
ERP/CAD Communication | Custom Scripting
Machine Design | Process Optimization

iLogic/Inventor API: Autodesk Online Help | API Shortcut In Google Chrome | iLogic API Documentation
Vb.Net/VBA Programming: MSDN | Stackoverflow | Excel Object Model
Inventor API/VBA/Vb.Net Learning Resources: Forum Thread

Sample Solutions:Debugging in iLogic ( and Batch PDF Export Sample ) | API HasSaveCopyAs Issues |
BOM Export & Column Reorder | Reorient Skewed Part | Add Internal Profile Dogbones |
Run iLogic From VBA | Batch File Renaming| Continuous Pick/Rename Objects

Local Help: %PUBLIC%\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2018\Local Help

Ideas: Dockable/Customizable Property Browser | Section Line API/Thread Feature in Assembly/PartsList API Static Cells | Fourth BOM Type
Message 3 of 13
llorden4
in reply to: MechMachineMan

@MechMachineManwrote:

Do the iProperties belong to the Model, or the Drawing file?

I often see users mix up the 2 and think they are accessing the right one, when in reality they are accessing the other.

After they "disappeared", was the title block empty? Is the titleblock populate from model or drawing iProperties?

The iProperties are within the .idw document properties and not the model properties, and as stated in my sequence the title block is updated and retains the displayed information within the title block despite the now missing iProperties; returning to the iProperties does not make the now populated title block information disappear despite the missing iProperties.  Recreating the custom iProperty(s) allow the title block to function correctly once more.  Again, this is an occasional happenstance and is not the norm, it does work correctly most of the time.

Message 4 of 13
kelly.young
in reply to: llorden4

Hello @llorden4 that is an odd issue, especially since it is intermittent and there are no rules running. Do you have the most recent Inventor Updates for 2016?

It sounds like this happens on all machines? I couldn't reproduce, have you been able to with just the template or does it happen with a certain type of part/assembly?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 5 of 13
llorden4
in reply to: kelly.young

@kelly.youngwrote:

Hello @llorden4 that is an odd issue, especially since it is intermittent and there are no rules running. Do you have the most recent Inventor Updates for 2016?

It sounds like this happens on all machines? I couldn't reproduce, have you been able to with just the template or does it happen with a certain type of part/assembly?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Yes sir, service packs are all installed but no other hot fixes.  It has happened on more than one machine, but can't attest it's happen to all of them, with a work around available some may just correct the issue and not make the report.  If it's an issue with a part, I wouldn't know which one.  While we do have a library of parts to create our assemblies, I haven't been tracking the components of each report to break down a list of common parts per issue.

Message 6 of 13

What if you create new parts with the same properties. I mean add the properties to a new part and take a look at the nehsvior. I am curious if it also happens with these.

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 7 of 13

@bradeneuropeArthurwrote:
What if you create new parts with the same properties. I mean add the properties to a new part and take a look at the nehsvior. I am curious if it also happens with these.

Maybe I misunderstand your intent, but re-creating an entire parts library and waiting around to see if the intermittent problem never shows up again doesn't seem to be a good use of my time, to me.

Message 8 of 13

no I want you to try the behavior on a new file... only one times..

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 9 of 13

I'll save that trick for when I can repeat the bug on demand.

Message 10 of 13

are you using vault?

Regards,

Autodesk Software: Inventor Professional 2018 | Vault Professional 2018 | Autocad Mechanical 2018
Programming Skills: Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Dimension Component! | Partlist Export! | Derive I-properties! | Vault Prompts Via API! | Vault Handbook/Manual!
Drawing Toggle Sheets! | Vault Defer Update!

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 11 of 13

I seem to have a very similar problem on Inventor 2019.

Our assembly iproperties populate the title block, but the last few weeks have seen random wiping clean of all custom iproperty fields from the assembly. I haven't seen it occur at a part level yet. We just installed the latest update (2019.1.2) this morning, but it doesn't seem to have resolved it.

The custom iproperty fields can be re-entered, which then show correctly on the title block, but who wants to be doing that?!

Don't know if it's related or not, but we have recently been having sketches on a drawing views randomly deleting, like they never existed.

Fyi, we are not on Vault.

David

Message 12 of 13

Could you share the drawing file and the assembly file related to the drawing?

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 13 of 13

At least I'm no longer alone in the universe.  Sadly, welcome to the club.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report