Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link to word

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
elofusion
790 Views, 7 Replies

Link to word

Hi,

Is there anyway to link your model to word in Inventor? So that when i change my model in Inventor it changes in word?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jtylerbc
in reply to: elofusion

There (sort of) used to be, using a now-discontinued product called Inventor Publisher.  It didn't technically directly connect Inventor and Word.  The Inventor file was referenced by the Publisher file, then the Word document referenced the Publisher file.  This required an add-in for Word than installed with Publisher.

Inventor Publisher was discontinued a couple of releases ago.  Some of its functionality was added to the revised Presentation environment in Inventor, but as far as I know there is no replacement for the Word linking functionality.

Message 3 of 8
johnsonshiue
in reply to: elofusion

Hi! If Inventor part file is inserted as an object, it will be displayed as a file icon with a link to the actual ipt file. Out of box Word is not able to view Inventor in its own window. I recall there is an API workflow essentially allowing a viewport to be created in Word and then look into the file. Let me ping Curtis and see if he is aware of a solution. @Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Curtis,

Have you heard about this workflow before?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 8
elofusion
in reply to: jtylerbc

I know that Solidworks have the function Im looking for but I dont want to use Solidworks. Does anyone know another program that can do this? I want to create assembly instructions.

Message 5 of 8

He could also use API directly in conjunction with 

GetObject("", "Microsoft.Word") 

to access the Word program and then use Word API to modify the file and then save it.

--------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the 'Accept as Solution' or 'Like' button below.

Justin K
Inventor 2018.2.3, Build 227 | Excel 2013+ VBA
ERP/CAD Communication | Custom Scripting
Machine Design | Process Optimization

iLogic/Inventor API: Autodesk Online Help | API Shortcut In Google Chrome | iLogic API Documentation
Vb.Net/VBA Programming: MSDN | Stackoverflow | Excel Object Model
Inventor API/VBA/Vb.Net Learning Resources: Forum Thread

Sample Solutions:Debugging in iLogic ( and Batch PDF Export Sample ) | API HasSaveCopyAs Issues |
BOM Export & Column Reorder | Reorient Skewed Part | Add Internal Profile Dogbones |
Run iLogic From VBA | Batch File Renaming| Continuous Pick/Rename Objects

Local Help: %PUBLIC%\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2018\Local Help

Ideas: Dockable/Customizable Property Browser | Section Line API/Thread Feature in Assembly/PartsList API Static Cells | Fourth BOM Type
Message 6 of 8
elofusion
in reply to: MechMachineMan

Getobject? Sorry but i dont know how to use that command... Do you have a link to a guide or something?

Message 7 of 8

Check this out:

http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_paper/2006/05/how_do_i_embed__1.html

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 8 of 8

Thanks for the help!

If i put it this way that I want to make assembly instructions like in Solidworks, is that possible? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report