Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch completely disappears when trying to dimension

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
gabriel.riosLLX48
423 Views, 5 Replies

Sketch completely disappears when trying to dimension

I want to dimension this arc such that both sides are symmetric across the vatical axis. When clicking on the dimension tool and hovering my mouse over this line, the 3 point arc sketch completely disappears. It only shows me the green line shown below.

Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.png

How do I dimension this line. How do I make this sketch visible ABOVE all these other entities which are not a part of my sketch.

Labels (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Right Mouse Button - Select Other

JDMather_0-1621855510602.png

(You might also change the projected circle to Construction.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6

Hi @JDMather 

And when changing to Construction lines is not longer possible with derived sketches!

Like here mantioned:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-customization/inventor-2022-derived-parts-unable-to-toggle-c...

How to proceed than?

Do you have any suggestions?

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 4 of 6
swalton
in reply to: gabriel.riosLLX48

@gabriel.riosLLX48 : Any reason not to use the symmetry constraint on the ends of the desired arc?  

@bradeneuropeArthur: I believe the as-designed workflow is:

1. Derive the source sketch into the new part
  2. Start a new sketch in the new part on the same plane as the derived sketch
  3. Project the required geometry from the derived sketch into the new sketch
  4. Change the line-type of the projected geometry.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 6

I know.

But the question is how will old files be migrated correctly since this was different in earlier releases of inventor.

This will definitely lead into migration problems. Also people will be confused of this change.

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 6 of 6

Hi Arthur,

The behavior change in Derive Sketch Line Type has been explained earlier. It does not impact the existing files. But, if you create new derive in 2022, it will obey the new behavior. Please note that this change was requested by multiple users on the Inventor Feedback Community and also this forum. The old behavior is actually a violation of Derive paradigm. Derive should always be one way. So, the parent objects should drive the child objects. In the past, the line type was treated like appearance, which can be problematic. It is because line type in sketch carries design intent more than appearance. It can dictate if the segment participate in profile.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report