Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I recommend you don't load 2018

85 REPLIES 85
Message 1 of 86
jletcher
2933 Views, 85 Replies

I recommend you don't load 2018

I would skip 2018 release if you want to keep your sanity..  this is with 2018.2.1 update even thought the errors were there out of box the update fixed none of these.

1st ilogic no longer works under libraries without a workaround and even then I still have issues... Autodesk already said this will not be fixed.

In the picture below you will see point hole centers off the part. Well they started on the part but for some reason 2018 likes to move them away after placing dimensions on them. Sometimes it will toss it way out in no mans land.

Stupid 2018-01.JPG

The error you see below is an iMate error from replacing part. I have done this all the time but now 2018 errors out all the time.

Stupid 2018-02.JPG 

The picture below is.............well I don't know 2018 seems to love these long dimension extension lines and you can't fix them and they do it as they please sometimes even throwing the dimension 10 miles away from your part and when you drag it back these line get longer and longer and longer.

Stupid 2018-03.JPG  

So far I have not found 2018 fun to work with and thought I would let you know before you make the mistake and load it..

85 REPLIES 85
Message 2 of 86
pball
in reply to: jletcher

The points moving after being dimensioned in a sketch is a feature you can turn off. On the sketch tab of the application options there is the "Auto-scale sketch geometries on initial dimension" option.

If you draw a few lines at half the size they should be and then you dimension one, the rest of the lines will be scaled up the same as the line you added a dimension to.

Message 3 of 86
The_Angry_Elf

The points shown in the first pic move mainly because they are not fully constrained yet. The only dims to them are from the center. At this point they can float wherever they want in the vertical direction. If this part was made prior to 2018 and this happens once you open the file, I'd ask whyt weren't they fully constrained before. But I don't think that's what you are saying...is it?

I'm thinking this is a new part, started in 2018 and you are in the process of locating the hole centers, correct?

The "Autoscale" option mentioned above will solve such, but this isn't new to 2018, this action has been the case ever since I can remember (Rev 3). It might be that you just happened to see it this time. Inventor has no idea where to place the points yet as they are not tied to anything, they are just in sketch space if that makes sense. But again, this is a very common occurrence depending on how you do your sketches. Drawing your sketches freehand as opposed to putting in the values on the fly, will cause this every time if the sketch and the actual dims are vastly different. Consider a different approach to sketching.

As for the dimension extension lines, I've seen that at least as of 2014 release. But usually on very small dimensions. No idea what causes it, but it's definitely not new to 2018.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 4 of 86
jtylerbc
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

@The_Angry_Elf wrote:

The "Autoscale" option mentioned above will solve such, but this isn't new to 2018, this action has been the case ever since I can remember (Rev 3).

It's a bit more recent than you're thinking, but still not new to 2018.  The automatic sketch resizing was introduced in Inventor 2013.

Message 5 of 86
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: jtylerbc

John,

Yeah, I should have been clearer. I wasn't meaning the "Autoscale" features been around since Rev 3, I meant the reaction of the scaling in the sketch.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 6 of 86
johnsonshiue

Hi James,

Regarding the iLogic issue, would you mind providing some context here? What was the iLogic issue? Who told you that it would be fixed in 2018.2.1? Then who told you that it would not be fixed?
We are trying everything we can to help. Like I mentioned before, this forum is for discussion purpose. If you have critical issues to resolve, I suggest you contact Autodesk Product Support.

jletcher wrote:

1st ilogic no longer works under libraries without a workaround and even then I still have issues... Autodesk already said this will not be fixed.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 86
jletcher
in reply to: johnsonshiue

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-customization/code-not-working-in-2018-but-works-in-2012/m-p...

We are trying everything we can to help.

No your not. everything would mean you put it back the way it was you know when it worked.. So far 2018 is not an improvement. But a nightmare..

Like I mentioned before, this forum is for discussion purpose.

And I am discussing how 2018 is not a good upgrade..

Message 8 of 86
MechMachineMan

Things to consider:

When looking at upgrading versions of a software, there are definitely changes to be expected. As with anything doing a proper Cost-Benefit Analysis will lead you to making good decisions.

With updates, before you purchase/apply updates, it is important to read the change log to understand what you are getting and to have a plan in place for how you will adapt to these changes.

In the case of Inventor 2018:

- Inventor patched a FLAW which allowed users to modify files which they would not otherwise have access to. This moves the software in line with functionality in the UI, which forces users to use workarounds similar to the steps in the UI. This is necessary so the PROGRAM can function properly and perform proper checks and files on things IN THE WAY WHICH IT WAS DESIGNED.

- As far as James' complaints, the new workflow involves changing project files or using alternate instances of inventor to perform tasks - which is how it would work through the UI.

- Inventor 2018 does add a lot of beneficial components - the Global iLogic Event triggers have been the best feature I've seen added - it really allows for more advanced document management capabilities for even the most beginner of programmers, which can save countless hours in the end of the day. IMO, all CAD admins should be looking into this functionality more than they have already.

So please, do your own analysis and don't follow the rants of people on forums without taking their words with a grain of salt.

--------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the 'Accept as Solution' or 'Like' button below.

Justin K
Inventor 2018.2.3, Build 227 | Excel 2013+ VBA
ERP/CAD Communication | Custom Scripting
Machine Design | Process Optimization

iLogic/Inventor API: Autodesk Online Help | API Shortcut In Google Chrome | iLogic API Documentation
Vb.Net/VBA Programming: MSDN | Stackoverflow | Excel Object Model
Inventor API/VBA/Vb.Net Learning Resources: Forum Thread

Sample Solutions:Debugging in iLogic ( and Batch PDF Export Sample ) | API HasSaveCopyAs Issues |
BOM Export & Column Reorder | Reorient Skewed Part | Add Internal Profile Dogbones |
Run iLogic From VBA | Batch File Renaming| Continuous Pick/Rename Objects

Local Help: %PUBLIC%\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2018\Local Help

Ideas: Dockable/Customizable Property Browser | Section Line API/Thread Feature in Assembly/PartsList API Static Cells | Fourth BOM Type
Message 9 of 86
jletcher
in reply to: MechMachineMan

Now come on tell the truth..

The change stopped nothing that was not already being stopped..

And worked like this from day one of ilogic now changing 6 plus releases later? Not right..

That would be like taking lisp in autocad and changing a few things. Those that have lisp that ran for 15 to 30 years would be very very upset. Even to this day autocad can still go to classic interface as well. Autodesk knows they would never sell another upgrade if they stop it..

The change may have been needed to please 1 or 2 people but upset hundreds of others? Not logical to me.

Maybe if they thought it out and added something for those that use it like my clients and others that have called me asking about why their ilogic no longer works.

Like a special library path for them or an option button to run like it did for many many years.

Message 10 of 86
jletcher

Here is another example

3D PDF great thing to add... Only if it works if it don't don't release it till you have it working 99% of the time.

I had to make this 3D PDF 5 times and still is not right.

Below is the model in Inventor.

3D ugh.JPG  

Below here is the 3D PDF  and I have no clue how or why it did this.

3D ugh 2.JPG  

Again it took many times to export to the 3D PDF just to get everything to show I was happy till I rotated to this above..

Trust me I was one of those asking for this but I don't want a half baked feature I rather wait and have it right..

Message 11 of 86
johnsonshiue

Hi James,

Many thanks for the feedback! I really hope we maintain mutual respect in terms of the discussion. However, your rhetoric keeps testing people's patience. How do you know that we are not doing our best? Certainly, we can make mistakes leading to undesirable result. You can say our best is not good enough for you but please reserve your rhetoric to other places. we would like to focus on resolving issues.

I cannot guarantee to resolve every issue you report. As long as the information you provide is actionable, appropriate actions are taken.

The iLogic issue was indeed reviewed by the team. You may have different opinion. I will ask the team to follow up the thread. The iFeature issue was not clear to me. The project team was able to reproduce it and the issue is being investigated. The 3D PDF issue here is new to me. Please share the files or send them to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Thanks again!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 86
The_Angry_Elf

The few times I've seen something like this happen was a result of either no constraints, improper constraints or Joint constraints without the other required static constraints.

Not saying that's what happened here, just that it was the case in each of the times I've seen such happen.

Also taking into effect your post above about the hole centers moving in sketch mode, just seems like it's a very good possibility.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Message 13 of 86
jletcher

"The few times I've seen something like this happen was a result of either no constraints, improper constraints or Joint constraints without the other required static constraints."

Exporting to a 3D PDF?

Message 14 of 86
The_Angry_Elf

If I'm not mistaken, yes, it was always for the PDF, I don't recall seeing this happen with the same file exported to a DWFx though.

Let me also add I've seen some very weird things happen when exporting to PDFs 3D or not.

I know of the issues I've seen on the 2D PDFs it was a matter of a quality setting or a PDF issue, not an Inventor issue.

But in this case, it's moving or shifting the model to a point.

In the cases I've seen, again, it was poor practice of the designer that fixed it. It wasn't a PDF or Inventor issue.

Of course whenever I asked what they did, they always seemed to forget what their steps were....:)

But if and when I opened the Inventor files I was able to grab the parts and move them based on their degree of freedom.

Once fixed, of course, the PDF and DWFs were fine.

Again, might be a completely different issue than what you are seeing here.

***Also let me say this wasn't on 2018 release of Inventor though. I saw these things on 2014-2016 releases, which makes me think more so that it's more of a user or PDF issue than an Inventor issue.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Message 15 of 86
jletcher

The exporting should change nothing no matter what may cause it..

A PDF is to show exactly what I export not change it. That is a reason I call it half baked..

I believe I know what it is.. But like I said above does not mater if the assembly has 50 issues it should export what is shown..

But just so you know its not constraints... But another feature Inventor has...

Message 16 of 86
The_Angry_Elf

I agree 100%

Again, in the cases I've seen I tend to think it was more operator error.

I, for the life of me can't figure out how something like exporting a PDF would cause such to happen.

But I know for a fact if the user didn't constrain things right and something caused the parts to shift unknowingly prior to making the PDF, then that's on the user.

It's sorta along the lines where users will "eyeball" the location of a part and Ground it and it looks fine in a specific view, but then when you rotate the view those parts are out in space...that's what happened basically in the cases I saw.

Again, may not be the issue you're seeing, was just an idea for something to look for.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Message 17 of 86

I have to assume that in the case you are seeing this, if you open up the actual assembly, everything is still in place as it should be?

Can you move any of the parts (degrees of freedom) that you shouldn't be able to?

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Message 18 of 86
jletcher

This is a fully constrained part I did it myself.

I know what the issue is... And it is Inventor and the 3D PDF not working together with all Inventor features..

Message 19 of 86
jletcher

Here is another issue with 2018

Notice how freely it moves till I click on adjust..

Now I know the 1st reply will be..

Is the video driver updated.. The answer is yes..

2nd reply will be computer specs.

Trust me the specs are just fine..

This new Material and appearance needs to go away it is crap. Inventor is for manufacturing not to make posters. Inventor needs to get back to the basics. You know when it worked.....

It was so easy to add colors and textures now it is a nightmare and can't even add my own colors.. NOT AN IMPROVEMENT.

Message 20 of 86
mcgyvr

OMG I can't stop laughing...

Please.. more.. more...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report