Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude to Sketch Point?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mw2
Contributor
770 Views, 6 Replies

Extrude to Sketch Point?

I am a longtime Solidworks user who is considering switching to Inventor. My primary reason is that I am using AutoCAD more and more, and I am hoping that Inventor will even have slightly better integration with AutoCAD than Solidworks does. A few years ago I did a trial of Inventor and was frustrated by a few small things, one of which was I did not seem to have the ability, in Inventor, to extrude a feature and use a sketch point as the "extrude to" feature. In Solidworks I've developed the practice of using reference sketches for a lot of uses, one of which is to give extrusion points (I try to never reference vertices or faces etc, of actual features since they change most often as I revise designs).

Does the newest version of Inventor allow any such Extrude to a sketch point or similar?

Thank You

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
gcoombridge
in reply to: mw2

That approach is best practice in inventor too (in my opinion anyway).

You can definitely extrude to a sketch point, I do this many times a day. 

Use iLogic Copy? Please consider voting for this long overdue idea (not mine):https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/string-replace-for-ilogic-design-copy/idi-p/3821399
Message 3 of 7

Is there a way to extrude FROM a sketch point? If there is, I can't find it. It keeps asking me to "select face".

From SolidWorks, I also am used to having a skeleton sketch on a single plane and then extruding between vertices. Inventor seems to let me extrude TO a vertex but not FROM a vertex. Does this mean I'll have to create extra planes?

Message 4 of 7

Hi Peter,

Indeed, Inventor does not support Extrusion starting from a point or a vertex or a workpoint. The starting selector has to be a face (planar or nonplanar) or a plane.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 7
mw2
Contributor
in reply to: peter.kapitola

Wow. I had no idea I could extrude in SW from a sketch point. Very cool to know....

Message 6 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mw2

Hi! Fusion 360 also supports this workflow.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7

Thanks. Digging further, it looks like this has been suggested a few times already. Hopefully it will get pushed through soon.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report