Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance from face 2022

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Thegreatrandino
830 Views, 8 Replies

Distance from face 2022

Trying to extrude a distance from a face. With 2019 and 2018 you can do it. https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-084A5063-64E2-454A-8F48-6794EBCFD683

I can create a workplane and then extrude from the workplane, BUT with 2018 Inventor had the cool new feature Distance from face that eliminated the extra step of creating a workplane.

I'm I missing something or is it gone in 2022?

Saw this post (https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/distance-from-face/m-p/8728890) and maybe this is a deprecated feature in 2022?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi! The workflow is still there albeit less explicit. You simply need to click on "From" selector (default to Sketch) and pick a new starting face.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 9

I want to start the sketch a distance from a face. Yes, I  can select either the sketch plane or another plane. In my particular case I want to start the extrusion 1.5" from the sketch plane and extrude for a distance of .75".

Message 4 of 9

Hi! In that case, you will need to create an offset workplane 1.5" from the sketch plane. Then select the workplane as the starting face. This is the same Offset Distance Extrude workflow as in 2019 and earlier.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 9

Did you look at the links?

Eliminate Steps with Distance from Face

Save time with the new extents option Distance from Face. Use Distance from Face in the Extrude dialog box to start an extrusion from a face or workplane with a distance. Distance from Face creates a copy of the selected face along the extruded direction. Additionally, modifying the geometry becomes easier. Because Distance from Face creates one central entry point for modifying the geometry, no additional steps to make sketches or workplanes are needed.

Thegreatrandino_0-1631182961153.png

Thegreatrandino_0-1631183500581.png

What you describe was my work around. In 2018 you didn't need to create the workplane first. It's easy enough. 

Click Plane, Click on the face, and drag the mouse in the direction of new plane. Release the mouse and enter the distance. But with 2018 Distance from Face creates one central entry point for modifying the geometry, no additional steps to make sketches or workplanes are needed.

Message 6 of 9

Hi! I did double-check on Inventor 2019. It works as I described. I guess the workflow description on the Help could be interpreted as distance-based start. Inventor never supports such workflow. The Distance from Face option basically starts or relocates the profile to the selected starting face. This eliminates the need to create another sketch (and workplane)on the desirable starting face.

It is not about starting based on a distance from a selected face.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue 

Seems they are implying there was a "hold mouse then drag mouse" functionality to provide an offset from the new face selection.. Did you notice they stated that and try that?

I just noticed that important detail in their problem description but don't have 2019 to test anymore.

Assuming that was just bad memory on their part then yes 2019 and newer all have the same functionality.

Click Plane, Click on the face, and drag the mouse in the direction of new plane. Release the mouse and enter the distance. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 9

I stand corrected. Thanks for taking the time to look into this. I thought I had overlooked  the location of a feature I thought was in a previous version in the new version. It would be more likely that I overlooked than Autodesk deprecating a feature.

Cheers

Message 9 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi Brian,

I just tried it on 2019 again. I don't see that workflow. If dragging a start face leads to a new workplane, there should be a feature and a parameter created. Or, at least there should be a manipulator allowing such drag. The start face selector is just a face selector, without ability to create a feature.

I think the Help document was wrong. There is no such workflow implemented. I will work with the project team to understand it better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report