Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New components not showing properly on updated drawing

50 REPLIES 50
Message 1 of 51
Roland.Kalamar
3866 Views, 50 Replies

New components not showing properly on updated drawing

Hi all,

I have an urgent task of creating "as-built" drawings based on my earlier drawings. I have the following problem:

I have some new components in the assembly that were added later than when the drawing was originally created from the assembly. (New components as well as new sub-components of existing components).

After updating the drawing the added parts should be shown, but to my surprise this is not the case (either shading is shown but no contours, or nothing at all.)

Also it is the same for new features of existing components.

I don't know what is going on, doing all the drawings again from scratch instead of just updating existing ones is not an option. 

Please share if you have experienced this or if you have any solution or ideas at least.

Thanks,

50 REPLIES 50
Message 21 of 51

Hello @ClintBrown3D ,

This seems to be happening again since an update earlier this week 

New bodies are not showing up on updated drawings. They are not hidden in the 'tree'. Starting a new base view and 'redrawing' everything works, but time consuming.

I have Fusion 360 2.0.15023 x86_64

Message 22 of 51

Hi @GeoffPacker7777 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble. Are you running on Windows or macOS, if macOS, are you running Ventura by chance?

Please can you share a downloadable link to the drawings with me? Or if it is sensitive, feel free to send it directly to me Clint. Brown {a} Autodesk.com

ClintBrown3D_0-1650460911253.png

There are a few things you can also check. Is the drawing fully updated (bubble 1)?

Are you referencing the latest version (bubble 2)?

ClintBrown3D_2-1670222839867.png

What happens if you choose "Unsuppress All Components"?

2022-12-05_06h42_47.png

cc: @nemadec @Pramod.kadam 

Message 23 of 51

Hello @ClintBrown3D Thanks for the quick response.

I am on PC, windows 10 21H2.

Drawings are fully updated, tried the unsuppressed 'trick' with no luck

The drawings that have this issue I have essentially re-drawn with a new base view.

I'll check if one of these has the 'original' base view with the new parts not showing and email it. 

Message 24 of 51
Message 25 of 51
dbeltrang
in reply to: Roland.Kalamar

Also having this problem since I started using Fusion back in september. New components are not shown in existing drawings, although they appear in the tree. If I redo the drawing there is no problem. Windows 10 Pro 22H2.

dbeltrang_0-1677158570877.png

Edit: I answer myself. If I open edit mode and check-unckeck interference lines, the missing components appear. Not ideal, but easy enough. No need to close and open, just check and inmediately uncheck.

dbeltrang_1-1677225537957.png

Message 26 of 51
simon.dyer
in reply to: ClintBrown3D

Sorry to say but the issue remains, as of today 2nd March 2023.
It looks like the refresh only affects the sheet in view. Other sheets suffer from views that are not up to date.

Message 27 of 51
dbeltrang
in reply to: simon.dyer

I also noted since editing my message, that the check/uncheck not always works.

Message 28 of 51
ClintBrown3D
in reply to: dbeltrang

Hi @dbeltrang 

Please share a downloadable link to your drawing, so that I can ask the team to investigate this, or if it is sensitive, feel free to send it directly to me Clint. Brown {a} Autodesk.com

cc: @nemadec @Pramod.kadam 

Message 29 of 51
dbeltrang
in reply to: ClintBrown3D

I send it to your mail.

Thx.

Message 30 of 51

Hi @dbeltrang @Roland.Kalamar ,

We are checking the issues on our end. I was able to reproduce the issue with the drawing provided by @dbeltrang but that too with specific views, it is not happening with new views.

We are trying to find the generic steps to reproduce the issue. If possible, can you please specify the exact steps which lead to this behaviour ?

Thanks,

Pramod Kadam
Product Owner
Fusion 360 Drawings
Message 31 of 51
dbeltrang
in reply to: Pramod.kadam

Nothing special that I can remember.

Design some components.

Make some drawings.

Back to the desing to add some components.

Go to drawing to check.

Can't be sure, but perhaps I add components the next day versus adding them in the same session.

Message 32 of 51
matthollis

Ive just had this issue and although i would prefer it fixed i have found a workaround for today and that is to create a random cube as a new body in the design, in free space, and then save and update the drawing. If you delete your random cube the other non visible bodies should remain visible in visible edge mode.

Message 33 of 51
matthollis

It happened again nut this time with an existing body for absolutely no reason it disappeared, new section views created could not see it still. Had to turn off a part in the elevation view to see if the part was behind it in that view, it was and magically it appeared in the section view. F me guys this is a pile of poo. 

Message 34 of 51
dbeltrang

Today it happend in a slightly different way. There is a main view where the part appears

dbeltrang_0-1680523772652.png

Then, on the next drawing it is missing.

dbeltrang_1-1680523883177.png

There are at least two parts missing. They both where generated using simmetry.

Message 35 of 51

Hi @dbeltrang ,

Can you please share this file for investigation?

Thanks,

Pramod

Pramod Kadam
Product Owner
Fusion 360 Drawings
Message 36 of 51

Hi @dbeltrang , 

Thanks for sharing the file. 

As you said, when I opened the file, some of the entities were not appearing in the view. There might be some issue with the view update. But there is very simple workaround if you come across such issue; Double click on the view to open the drawing view dialog, then change any option from that dialog e.g. Turn on Interference edges option and again turn off. This computes the view again, and you should be able to see desired view.

Thanks,

Pramod Kadam
Product Owner
Fusion 360 Drawings
Message 37 of 51
toffypops

Hope it is OK that i comment as well. I got this very same error yesterday.

And if i reverted back to before i assigned updates from the project to the 2D drawing board, the objects re-appeared.  Whenever i tried to make changes, the components or bodies disappeared.

Here is a video showing you how much i struggled. You may need to scroll a bit into the video.

Video is public, but for some reason the insert-video function claims it is not.

https://youtu.be/qucoo7YR_Wk

Today i found an article saying i had to update my graphics drivers, which i did, (a whole other story i will not go into) , but that did not fix the problem.

After a long while, i started thinking about something.

The main objects that vanish are objects where i saved a body as a component, then saved that as a Fusion360 *.f3d file. Then i re-opened these components from disk, into my project, so i would have dedicated base views, since I wanted to document each step on how i created a model.

Now, i started thinking. These objects in my 2D drawing has to go through a lot of junctions, to appear in my 2D drawing.

First they are loaded into the project from disk -> Linked to the actual f3d-files on disk -> Then each of these have their own, linked components in the project. If you make a change to any of those components, fusion 360 would notice and demand an update in the project, which is fair and OK if you are designing a model.

But there is now an additional step for these links, to re-link them. And that is into the 2D drawing.

Basically every time you make a change in the 2D drawing, a rewrite or whatever, a command goes back,

2D-> project-> f3d-file = Has any updates happened at any point?

Fusion then checks, and checks the f3D file for updates, then the update is updated to the project model linked and loaded, then fusion tells back to the 2D drawing, nope, no changes!

Problem is, the base file here, is a file that exist on a physical disk, the f3d file. And it needs to be accessed every time you make a change.

I was wondering why adding a new base view was sooo slow for the project, and then I thought:

"What if i break the link?" - Then save the project , with the files / components/bodies inside the project itself.

Essentially eliminating the need for the f3d files which will not be changed anyway?
Because a linked in object or component, is not actually saved IN the project itself, but loaded from disk when you load the project.  When you break the links, the components will be orphaned from their links, and becomes their own components and objects within the project files.

So first i broke the link in the Fusion 360 main project, to the f3d files i had added.

When i did this, the drawings updated with messages that all my relations inside , related to those specific objects, were no longer valid, since they essentially were referring to the old , linked objects, although visible, i could not associate the dimensions and such. So i had to delete the base views and projected views i had made, letting the text remain as identification marks.

Afterwards, i just remade the base-views , after i had updated the 2D from the project with updates.

Because the updates i now would get from the project would be with the non-linked objects.

I started redrawing now, using the UNLINKED objects, and so far, no glitches like before.

So it seems the main reason for the glitches is because i used linked objects into my 2D drawing.

I see from the screenshots in this post that other people also use linked objects/components and bodies, and it would be interesting to see, if they broke those links, and remade the 2D like i explained above, if they also stopped getting broken representations in the 2D view.

The suggestions to suppress/unsuppress was unsuccessful as a solution for me.

PS: When i broke the links, the 2D insertion of new base views from scratch were a LOT faster than when the objects were linked to disk.

During this I also found that one of the LINKED components, had an error in it, basically the reference models it had used to be combined with, were no longer referenceable from the main project as they had been deleted.

I believe it may have also been a bit of the cause to the bugs, but even after I deleted it, and recreated it, errors still occurred, but that was also before i removed the links to the f3d files.

Not sure what the Fusion360 crew thinks about this, but to me it looks like using linked-components from disks in fusion360 is only feasible until it is not, and linked objects should have the links severed before any 2D drawing using them are attempted.

Sometimes i wonder if the 2D drawing space has memory problems, because often when i zoom in or out to work on my drawings, even the components from the native project are "hidden" or become invisible. Only way to view them again is to either move them or sometimes only forcing an update from the project gets them all back.

Especially if there are a lot of base views in the 2D drawing it seems to struggle with updating what you see in realtime.

wonder.png

Regards.

Bård

Norway

Message 38 of 51
ClintBrown3D
in reply to: toffypops

Hi @toffypops

There's a lot going on there, to me, this looks very much like you have a graphics issue. But I'd like to take a look at the file. Your drawing seems to have more references in the browser than base views.

Please share a downloadable link<> to your drawing, so that I can ask the team to investigate this, or if it is sensitive, feel free to send it directly to me Clint. Brown {a} Autodesk.com.

Also, please share a graphics diagnostic. Top right-hand corner "?" > "Support & Diagnostics" > "Graphic Diagnostic" - Copy this info to clipboard.

While we wait, can you try clearing your cache<> to see if this improves the problem?

cc: @kyle.williamsJU9H9

Message 39 of 51
toffypops

made a new video. Will send the f3d file to you for my project.

I already updated my graphics card, and i seem to be able to get the objects back manually.

Se this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l3CdU0tvwU

Message 40 of 51
ClintBrown3D
in reply to: toffypops

Hi @toffypops 

As per my last email, please share the F3Z from the drawing with me.

I believe I have a workflow for you.

I also want to see your graphics setup

ClintBrown3D_0-1677244363430.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report