Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a bounding box for an organic shape?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
rlrhett
7352 Views, 12 Replies

Creating a bounding box for an organic shape?

I'm surprised I can't find an answer to this already.  Perhaps it is simply missing terminology.  I don't know what Fusion 360 calls it, so I can't find it.

I often have organic shapes, both 2D and 3D, that I need to fit within certain spaces.  In Rhino3d there is a very useful command for generating a bounding box of the sketch or body.  That way I can see the extents of an otherwise complex organic shape and determine if it will fit the maximum allowable dimensions.

How do I do that in Fusion360?  For example, if I have a sketch that is built of multiple flowing spline curves how can I automatically determine where on the sketch is the "high water mark"?  Think, for example, of a stylized cloud shape.  It is hard to even know which curve reaches the highest just by eyeballing it.  I need some way to calculate the extents EXACTLY in x, y, z.

That bounding box would likewise be useful for scaling the object to fit the parameters.  If, for example, the object has to fill but not exceed a 3cm cubed space I could measure the existing edges and scale the object in each dimension by 3 divided by the measurement.

What is the way to do this in Fusion360?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jeff_strater
in reply to: rlrhett

Hi @rlrhett,

There is no way that I know of to do this in the Fusion UI today.  I suspect you could do this, maybe, with a bit of work via an API script.  @ekinsb, are there enough APIs to figure out the bounding box of a shape?

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 13
TrippyLighting

Yu cannot really design a bounding box, but every 3D object in Fusion 360 has a bounding box.

If you right-click on the body or component and select "Properties" you'll find the size of the bounding box:

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 7.22.52 PM.png

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
ekinsb
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I wrote a program before to calculate the bounding box of a body.  I need to repackage it so it's easier to find and use but you can find the existing version here.  Look for my first posting in the thread.  https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/box-around-a-imported-part/idc-p/596...

It doesn't work for sketches but it should be possible to extend it to work with sketch geometry.  No guarantees but I'll see if I can make some time later this week.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 5 of 13
rlrhett
in reply to: ekinsb

Thanks.  I don't do Python (JS is my preferred coding), so it will take me a little bit to unravel.  But it is very much what I need.  I have similar issues as the OP in the thread you linked to.  Odd shaped items drafter by others that I need to normalize so that it can be actually manufactured.  Eg: This has to be milled out of 3/4" stock, so scale it to fit.  Hard to do when you have an organic shape unless you have a bounding box.  This artwork has to be engraved on an existing part of exactly .125" from the outside edge. Etc...

Message 6 of 13
r.biswas1

Can you please include support structures features within Fusion 360?

Message 7 of 13
AlfonsoGo

Having the same issue. Just imported a Subd mesh to fusion and worked with it but at some point i needed to have some references to move it.

I believe maybe exporting the bounding box with the object might be helpful?

Message 8 of 13
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: AlfonsoGo

@AlfonsoGo 

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

It seems to me that a surface body box set to transparent would serve this purpose nicely.

Message 9 of 13
ARTFiT3D

Hi Ekinsb, Many thanks for this useful tool. It worked great for a 10k faceted mesh that I need to find the center of, then move to origin. 

Question, do you know of a way to use the center of mass glyph to move an object to origin?

Thanksbounding box script used on Geisha.jpg

Message 10 of 13

@ARTFiT3D , Have a Look at THIS..

Thanks and Regards,

Rushabh Thakkar.

Please use the Accept Solution button to mark any posts that provide the answer or solution. 

Likes are always welcome.

LinkedIn | Instagram | Facebook.      

Message 11 of 13
bagonon730
in reply to: ARTFiT3D

hey

Message 12 of 13

I can't seem to find Surface Body Box anywhere in Fusion, has it moved? Or used different terminology?

Message 13 of 13

"surface body box" isn't a command in fusion.  the suggestion was to create a surface body thru regular modeling techniques that boxed in the part.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report