Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contact set glitch

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
ninolemann
408 Views, 4 Replies

Contact set glitch

Hello,

I'm trying to build a mechanism to split a big magnetic apparatus apart.

The contact sets i applied don't work. they do for half of the way, then they simply stop working.

i even inserted a sphere so that the contact is made through single points, to no avail.

could anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance,

Sw1ssdude

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ninolemann
in reply to: ninolemann

bump...

Message 3 of 5
davebYYPCU

How far does the Slider have to go? 

I get the wooden block tangent to the sphere and at 33mm the block will start to close.

Since I started using Fusion I have only seen strong recommendations not to use Contact Sets, for reliability and performance reasons, therefore I have never used them, and don't know what is expected behaviour.

I would go with another motion link, slider 33mm and revolute the correct angle, but I could not measure that, without editing the file, and will do that if more information will be required.

Might help.....

Message 4 of 5
ninolemann
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Thanks fort he reply!

In this cylindrical design a huge steel cylinder will be inserted. If you ever worked with neodymium magnets of the size of a marsbar you know how terrifying magnetic forces can be...

This is why I quickly drew this clamp, which can be split by that wedge-like tong, which would keep the magnets apart in a safe way, while the tongs push out the inserted steely cylinder to the side. The ball is just there for single-point contact.

I didn't use another motion link because I'd like to evaluate different wedge tip forms, so the motion link wouldn't be linear - a formula generator is still missing in FUSION - and I was hoping for some input of how to facilitate things for fusion. The behavior of the motion link is a bit arbitrary, and I guess there are some do's and don't for the contact set, which is after all a very powerful tool (if it works)
Message 5 of 5
ninolemann

I just kept on modeling, working out all the fine details, and suddenly, the contact sets worked just fine.

The function remains a mystery, but for me, this thread can be closed....

Good Luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report