Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a body from 3 faces?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
2147 Views, 3 Replies

How to create a body from 3 faces?

Hello, im pretty new to fusion 360 but I can do the basics like sketching and so. The thing is, I want to create a body that fits the 3 faces shown in the picture below.

• I've tried with Loft in different combinations but none of them makes a good result.
  • I've also tried creating a bigger body and using the tool split body, but it doesn't work either.

Any suggetions ? Thanks Btw2019-03-18 (1).png

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jeff_strater
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous , I'm having a hard time telling what the 3 faces are from just the screen capture.  Can you share your design here?  It will make it easier to figure out what the answer is.  It looks like a loft should do the trick, but we'll know more when we see the design.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 4
davebYYPCU
in reply to: jeff_strater

You can Loft the Ellispe to the Nose point.  Use the other four curves as rails.

Loft is finicky, the rails have to connect to each profile.

For best results, each curve in its own sketch.  The nose point projected to a sketch on its own.

For even better results Extrude a dummy body of the ellipse in Patch and use the body edge, not the sketch.

Undefined sketches and yellow icons....

Many ways to skin the cat....

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

@jeff_strater Thanks very much for the help but I've figured out 5 mins after I posted (sorry for the trouble), basically I've lost the original version due to various overwrotes, but i appreciate your help very much.2019-03-18 (9).png

@davebYYPCU Thank you for the tips, I'll try it and maybe could get better results.

The way I achieved the result shown is:

1. sweep the profile 2 making the path the ellipse in the background (profile 3).
  2. I ended up with something like the blue shape highlighted, but with an extra body that i didn't wanted.
  3. I proceeded by using the split body tool and selecting the body to split to be the one from the step 2 and the splitting tool was the contour of the profile 1
  4. To get rid of the undesired body part from the step 2 I used a sketched line and repeated the step 3 but this time with the new sketched line as my splitting tool
  5. Used the tool move to separate the bodies. (I wanted to delete them but they were kind of linked, "makes reference to another part in the timeline" or something like this)
  6. To overcome the obstacle I found in the step 5, I used Move/Copy to make a copy of the body I wanted.
  7. Finally deleted the undesired bodies and kept the copy & used the tool mirror 2 times to make the other 3 parts.

I know this could've been done easily but it worked for me, maybe just in this particular case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report