Revit – Add a Color Pattern to a Cut Surface

This blog details the use of the poche material parameter in Revit to modify the appearance of any elements cut by a section box within a 3D view. When using the section box parameters in the view, which can be enabled via the below checkbox.

minteoir_0-1648641048156.png

Make sure that the extents of the section box are cutting the model where you want by using the shape handles. The below image shows a 3D view cut by a section box at a coarse level of detail, where the Coarse Poche Material is defined with a blue color (RGB 0 128 255). As a result, all cut elements display as blue. Using this technique will allow you to apply a surface pattern to furniture and railing familes as well as the main Revit families. 

minteoir_1-1648641048179.png

Change the Poche

Before changing the Coarse Poche Material type property, I would recommend that you duplicate your 3D view type unless you want to apply it to all 3D views. To change the appearance/color of the poche material click edit type in view properties.

minteoir_2-1648641048181.png

Then select the material to edit its properties. Again, it's good practice to duplicate the material and rename it unless you want to edit the original Poche material type.

minteoir_3-1648641048184.png

As below I have edited the shading color of the material to a blue color (RGB 0 128 255) which when applied will shade the cut surface of the view. To finish I have hidden the section box from the view.

minteoir_4-1648641048189.png

3 Comments