The Revit BIM360 Secret Seven

Growing up in India, books by Enid Blyton were an unavoidable part of every child's reading list. Those books were about groups of friends, cousins, schoolmates, or magical creatures (and their pets) that had amazing adventures full of fun, food, and frolic (yes, I'm in an alliterative mood today!). The Secret Seven were one of those groups - super-sleuths Peter, Janet, Jack, Barbara, Pam, Colin and George. Aaaahhhh, the joys of childhood. Each child (myself included!) really wanted be a member of the Secret Seven! 

But I digress. I have my very own Secret Seven that resolves most of the mysteries surrounding BIM360 / Autodesk Docs access. 

Here's when you would need to summon the Secret Seven -

- you don't see your projects in Revit

- your model saves and syncs really slowly

- you can't open your model

The Secret Seven - 

1. Verify that you're in the correct Revit version.

BIM360 / Autodesk Docs is version specific. Revit will only see the projects created in that very same version.

2. Make sure that you have the latest version of Desktop Connector and Revit updates installed

Don't forget to ensure that all members of your team are on the same build!!

2. Restart. Empty your TEMP folder.

Sahay_R_0-1648745610537.png

This should be a part of regular housekeeping. As a matter of fact, this can be automated with Windows' built in TEMP cleaning utility called Storage Sense.

2.  Clear the Cache - see the AKN article for the finer details to do this right!

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Clear-a-co...

Collaboration Cache 

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 20xx\CollaborationCache

CefCache

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 20xx\CefCache

PacCache

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\PacCache (leave the Logs and activity.json alone!)

3. Clear the BIM360 / Autodesk Docs cache

in File Explorer - right click on your BIM360 / Autodesk Docs project hub icon, select Free Up Space

Sahay_R_1-1648746189922.png

4. Publish models regularly - as frequently as possible.

This will allow you to download older versions to re-create central in case of a corrupt model that refuses to open (it's happened to me - on the day I got back from vacation no less!). 

5. NEVER link from a local drive to a cloudshared project! And this includes linking files from Sharepoint / Dropbox / Ondrive!!

Check linked files for errors and corruption before linking

6. Remove and re-add the team members experiencing the issues

Note - you will need to have at least Project Administrator privileges to do this

7. Check user entitlements and permissions.

Sahay_R_3-1648747561311.png

The Secret Seven really saves the day!

2 Comments