Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No indication of multiply users

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
345 Views, 8 Replies

No indication of multiply users

Is there an option where I can download that will let me know if someone else is working on the same dwg file? I am using AutoCAD 2017.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

AutoCAD drawing files are not meant to be worked on by more than one user at a time. That is why your operating system put lock files in place to prohibit two users from using the same file at once for editing.

Can you describe your environment and the kind of problem you are having or trying to avoid?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

The problem that I am having is that when more than one is working on the same dwg file there is no notice that it is being edited by somebody else and would save on top of my work. I have lost many hours by re-creating my work. If there is a way to let me or someone know that the file is being edited by somebody that would be great. I save my dwg files on the file server.
Message 4 of 9
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

What kind of file server are you using?  File locking is handled by the OS and not by AutoCAD.

Are you seeing the problem with Xref files?  The default value for Xloadctl is 2 but you might try setting it to 1 for all your users to see if that helps.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 5 of 9
Ed.Jobe

@AnonymousIf you are using a file sharing server like Dropbox, Google Drive or MS OneDrive, then you are going to run into this problem. They can't lock the file for a certain user. Its last one to save wins.

Ed

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

My OS is windows 10, if that matter.
Message 7 of 9
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

Unfortunately, that does not affect the issue.  If you are not working off a true Windows server then file locking is going to be hit and miss.

John Vellek

Message 8 of 9
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am checking back to see if my post or Ed's helped you with your problem. Please mark a post or posts as accepted solutions if they resolved the issue or give me a bit more detail on this issue so we can continue to work towards getting this solved.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 9 of 9
BeKirra

@Anonymouswrote:
The problem that I am having is that when more than one is working on the same dwg file there is no notice that it is being edited by somebody else and would save on top of my work. I have lost many hours by re-creating my work. If there is a way to let me or someone know that the file is being edited by somebody that would be great. I save my dwg files on the file server.

As others suggested, can you tell what the type of your "file server" is?

Before more details are given, you may try to move (not copy) the drawing file from server to your local disk when starting your work.

It obviously is not a good solution at all. But at least you can work without losing your time.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta