Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geolocation Map Data Version Upgrade

56 REPLIES 56
Message 1 of 57
criders
13194 Views, 56 Replies

Geolocation Map Data Version Upgrade

On June 30th, 2017, Microsoft® is ending support for version 7 of Bing® Maps.

In order to insure uninterrupted use of the Geolocation Map Data feature, you will have to upgrade your version of Bing Maps to version 8. To help you do this, we have created a hotfix which will automatically upgrade your Bing Maps version. That hotfix can be found here.

This Hotfix applies to all 32-bit and 64-bit publicly released versions of the following products (including Service Packs and Updates):

• Autodesk AutoCAD 2015, Autodesk AutoCAD LT® 2015, and Autodesk AutoCAD 2015-based vertical products
  • Autodesk AutoCAD 2016, Autodesk AutoCAD LT 2016, and Autodesk AutoCAD 2016-based vertical products
  • Autodesk AutoCAD 2017, Autodesk AutoCAD LT 2017, and Autodesk AutoCAD 2017-based vertical products
  • Autodesk AutoCAD 2018, Autodesk AutoCAD LT 2018, and Autodesk AutoCAD 2018-based vertical products

Users on AutoCAD 2014, AutoCAD LT 2014, and AutoCAD 2014-based vertical products will have to upgrade their AutoCAD version in order to continue using the Geolocation Map Data feature. More data on the deprecation of Online Map Data in 2014 products can be found here.

If you have any issues with the upgrade or have any questions about the installer, please let us know.

Scott Crider or Criders

Product Manager- AutoCAD Platform

56 REPLIES 56
Message 2 of 57
Anonymous
in reply to: criders

Thank you for the information!

Message 3 of 57
Kevin.Spear

Scott, do you know if this hotfix will be published to the Desktop App?

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Message 4 of 57
criders
in reply to: Kevin.Spear

Hi Kevin,

We do not have any plans to put this hotfix in the Desktop App. Since it is very focused on the Geolocation Map Data feature, we are showing it to users as a notification when they try to use that feature in product.

Thanks for your question!

Scott

Scott Crider or Criders

Message 5 of 57
cbroadway

Does this Hotfix Apply to Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2015?

Message 6 of 57
DarrenP
in reply to: cbroadway

@cbroadway wrote:

Does this Hotfix Apply to Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2015?

says right here

This Hotfix applies to all 32-bit and 64-bit publicly released versions of the following products (including Service Packs and Updates):

• Autodesk AutoCAD 2015, Autodesk AutoCAD LT® 2015, and Autodesk AutoCAD 2015-based vertical products

This includes Civil 3D

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 7 of 57
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> we are showing it to users as a notification when they try to use that feature in product

Do I understand you correct ... when a user does not have this hotfix installed and tries to use _GEOGRAPHICLOCATION or _GEOMAP (in Map3D/Civil3D) the user get's an information about that hotfix in a messagebox?

If so it would be great if you can show us how this msgbox looks like (and which exact words it uses) so we know if customers are asking about that dialog here?

Thx in advance, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 8 of 57
criders
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred,

Sure thing.

Here is an image of the message box that will pop up in product when you use  _GEOGRAPHICLOCATION or _GEOMAP .

image.png

The "Get Update Information" will send the user to the AKN article where they can access the hotfix.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott Crider or Criders

Message 9 of 57
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

that's great, thank you very much for coming back that fast with this detailed info's 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 10 of 57
Anonymous

I am using Autocad LT 2017 and I have Autocad LT 2018. I downloaded the file and extracted the files.

I do not know what i am to do from that point however.

Do I need to move the file/s to another location?  

Please advise.

Thanks

Message 11 of 57
cbroadway
in reply to: Anonymous

Untitled.png

Message 12 of 57
Anonymous

Hello,  I did follow those same instructions and AutoCAD continues to warn me about updating.

Is there a place I need to extract the files on my machine for the update work?

Thanks

Message 13 of 57
cbroadway
in reply to: Anonymous

Kevin,

I would right click the exe file and RUN AS ADMINSTRATOR as well to ensure all goes well. My civil 3D is not installed on my C: Drive, so I had to navigate to where my Cad was installed to extract the files there (E:\PROGRAM FILES\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015). You also mentioned you have Two versions so I'm sure you will have to run the EXE to hotfix each version, navigating to each versions installation folder.

Message 14 of 57
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> you will have to run the EXE to hotfix each version

No, when starting the EXE it searches your system for all types of AutoCAD (from release 2015 to 2018) and updates every version automatically.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 15 of 57
jggerth

@criders

Did anyone test thin on Map3d or Civil3d especially in regards to the MAPIINSERT georeferencing for aerials?  After applying the fix this AM, the MAPIINSERT hangs in c3d 2014 & c3d 2016 and never completes.   I'm forced to terminate Acad from TaskManager.

I can use C3D 2017 and attach a sid aerial, but cannot xref a drawing that contains it into c3d 2014.  Again, it just hangs until terminate with extreme prejudice..

Bing is fine, if you don't care about accuracy, but for anything more stringent that county-level planning, it's woefully inadequate.

Message 16 of 57
Kevin.Spear
in reply to: jggerth

What resolution (distance per pixel) are your aerial images?

My state's are more than 2' per pixel.
Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Message 17 of 57
Kevin.Spear

For reference, here is my local aerial data from 2015 (top) vs Bing (bottom) of a house in a neighborhood (that's a house to the left with a sidewalk and the street to the right). Both seem a bit fuzzy to me.SNAG-0534.png

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Message 18 of 57
jggerth
in reply to: Kevin.Spear

FDOT flies annually, and the 2015 and  later county-wide batches are 0.5'/pixel.  Older flights were generally 1'-2'/pixels, but the heavily populated counties get flown more frequently.

The imagery in bing may look good, but horizontal accuracy is far from survey-grade.  I've had locations with multiple miles of horizontal location errors.  (Really bad in 2014,  2017 seems a lot better, biggest error I've seen there is 20') Remember that Bing, Google, Apple maps etc were all originally intended for use with GPS navigation --  In my world that's fine for planning or location maps usually, not for using in real plans.

bottom line here is that MAPIINSERT (at least for SIDs) is broken, and I suspect the Bing patch is the cause.

Message 19 of 57
AllenJessup

NYS flies a different region each year. My County pays for 0.5' pixels rather than 1' pixels. But they're great images. Also we can get previous years back to 2000 in color and 1994± in infrared. I've never used Bing Maps except to help others with their problems.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 20 of 57
criders

Thanks for highlighting this James, we did test on these platforms but are looking into your issue now and will let you know what we find.

Scott Crider or Criders

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report