Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valves inherit pipe system linestyle properties

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
fosland1
1148 Views, 8 Replies

Valves inherit pipe system linestyle properties

I'm wondering how I can get my valves to NOT inherit the pipe system properties...Our pipe system type properties for Domestic Cold Water is dashed, which makes the valve dashed as well whenever it's inserted. Is there a way to keep the valves looking solid without manually overriding every time? I also don't want to override it in the object styles or per view either. Hoping theres a setting I can just change in the family editor that allows it to NOT take on the pipe system linestyle properties.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
evgeny.kurbatov
in reply to: fosland1

You can create a Filter which is applied to Pipe Accessories. Include it into a View Template or a View. Now you can override graphics for it: make the linetype Solid, even assign a specific color to distinguish pipe accessories from the  piping.

Unfortunately it is not a perfect solution because it doesn't allow to show proper graphics for phases. Filters override phase graphic definitions, i.e. existing, demolished.

Message 3 of 9
fosland1
in reply to: evgeny.kurbatov

Yes you are exactly right, I was just experimenting with this. Although I could setup a view template filter to apply to the pipe accessories to make them solid, it will interfere with any demolished or phasing settings that are in place. Is there any other way to accomplish this without setting up a filter? I'd like our workflow to be as streamlined as possible without having to manually remember to switch on/off filters due to phasing etc.

Message 4 of 9
evgeny.kurbatov

I proposed a solution with known limitations. I a "perfect" solution exists I am not am not aware of it. Sorry.
Message 5 of 9
hmunsell

how are you currently setting the pipe settings? are you doing it in the system setting or thru a filter? if your doing it thru the system settings they will be applied to anything with that system. we stopped using that method a long time ago. we found it more flexible to use filters to apply the overrides to our different systems. 

you can have the filter only apply to the Pipe category and not have it apply to the Fittings or Accessories. 

Capture.JPG

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
evgeny.kurbatov
in reply to: hmunsell

We apply colors for system. Line pattern is applied with Filters for pipes and pipe fittings.
Message 7 of 9
fosland1
in reply to: hmunsell

We are currently using system type properties to determine the linestyles and colors for the pipe/duct systems. I see the difference now, as you can apply the linetype to ONLY the pipes and not the valves if you use filters. However is there still a way to do this using the system type property approach? Using filters would be a major overhaul to our bim standards..

Message 8 of 9
RobDraw

@fosland1 wrote:

I'm not sure the benefit of using filters over system type properties.

I think you mean system graphic overrides but you just found the benefit, more finite control.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 9 of 9
iainsavage

One thing to consider is that Revit is not Autocad and methods of identifying different services in Autocad drawings by different line styles may not be appropriate to Revit models. For exactly the reason which you have described we decided to leave all services as default solid line style and make use of the tagging abilities in Revit instead to identify different services in the same views.

@RobDraw is correct that using view filters rather than system graphic overrides gives more control, but it also requires more management and all staff need to be consistent in their use or you need to have a very rigid set of view templates which no-one strays from.

Both methods are valid but both methods have their own pros and cons.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators