Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concatenate Shared Parameters in a Tag Formula

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
dtiemeyer
209 Views, 5 Replies

Concatenate Shared Parameters in a Tag Formula

I'm trying to create a Label in a Lighting Fixture tag that uses an if/then statement with generic Text and a concatenation of two shared parameters (built-in ones: Panel and Circuit Number)

Theory:

If "Emergency Yes/No parameter" is checked true on the light, then tag displays: "EM, EMLP-3" which is "EM" text plus (Panel)-(Circuit Number)

Various errors come up when attempting a formula like this, including "Left Parenthesis not expected" and "Invalid Operator" (for the minus sign which is a hyphen in this use case).

Has anyone been successful making a formula like this? If so please share.

Thank you!

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
curtisridenour
in reply to: dtiemeyer

I could be wrong but i am pretty sure you cannot concatenate two text strings into one text string within a revit family. I think you need to do it using a Label. Can you show some images of what you are trying to do in the Family Types?

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/concatenation-of-parameters-within-families/idi-p/6339606

Message 3 of 6
dtiemeyer

I think you're right, based on the link you provided. So I think the only way to accomplish this is to use two family types with a visibility parameter to control the display of the label (as opposed to using an if/then statement which reads a parameter of the Light being tagged to display the label or not).

Here's my settings and the error I get when I attempt to concatenate two parameters.

dtiemeyer_0-1717534127520.png

dtiemeyer_1-1717534141207.png

Message 4 of 6
curtisridenour

This is the way.

Message 5 of 6
ToanDN

Why can't you have multiple labels instead of one?

Message 6 of 6
dtiemeyer

Toan, thank you for the sanity check. I was overcomplicating it. You're right, and I got it to do what I wanted by creating four formula parameters (which all went on the same line), which all used "if Emergency is true, then..." and with only one 'then result' it successfully used the shared parameters and text substitutions I desired. 

Cheers!

Here's the winning strategy:

dtiemeyer_0-1717593593164.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators