Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concatenation Of Parameters Within Families

Concatenation Of Parameters Within Families

Along with the combo box dropdown lists within the family editor suggestion that has already been made, it would be really useful if we had the ability to concatenate parameters to fill in other parameters such as description or material specification d also need the ability to add common text elemets in "" to make the concatenated field read correctly.

Example

We have the following parameters in a flashing family, Flashing Girth, Flashing thickness, Material, Colour. To fill out the description we would put the formula =Flashing Girth & "GIRTH, &" Flashing thickness & "THICK " & "Material & "FLASHING, COLOUR" & Colour

would produce = 250mm GIRTH, 0.7mm THICK HPS200 PRE-COATED STEEL FLASHING, COLOUR MOONSTONE RAL 7035

Darren

37 Comments
AKingslayer
Advocate

I would like the ability to add parameters to the title-block family which can then be strung together to form the drawing name, or CAD file name, etc.  With the dinosaur drafting practices (rolls eyes at unintentional pun) of the oil-gas industry, many clients dictate the naming convention of drawings to include:  project number, plant number, unit, sheet size, discipline code, and finally the sheet number.  We don't want to reference anything but the the last few digits of that ridiculously long drawing number in our sections.  BUT, I do need the full drawing number to show up in other ares like a drawing list.  

There are two issues here:  

The limited number of text parameters available in the title block family, and the inability to add to them

The inability to concatenate text parameters throughout REVIT.

Tags (4)
lionel.kai
Advisor

Same/similar concatenate ideas:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/concatenation-of-parameters-within-families/idi-p/6339606

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/combined-value-in-schedule-improvement/idi-p/6497591

but why can't you just add a custom shared parameter to your title block? have that "long" one be shown in the border, then have the "short" one be the REAL sheet number that's shown in section cuts and view references (or the other way around - create the custom one in your view refs). Sure, you'd have to manually keep the two coordinated, but as long as you make the custom parameter shared, you could use a schedule to help with that. Or maybe BETTER YET: don't include the "short" sheet number in the "long" file name, and just use the Label to concatenate them. That way there's nothing to manually coordinate.

ZlarsonWLYKZ
Enthusiast

Adding the function to parameter formulas which enables the ability to concatenate text would be wonderful. Ex:

x = RTU

y = FIVE

z = concatenate(x ,y) = RTUFIVE

pasha-sevkav
Advocate

Concatenate text cells with formulas by analogy with Exel to combine different test values into one field when creating families.

22-1.JPG

adam.jw
Advocate

Agreed. Being able to drive text descriptions of length/integer parameters in families would be incredibly powerful.

crapai
Advocate

We need this, sometimes schedules require the concatenation of information into one parameter in a family. Please add this.

RIPENG
Enthusiast

Over three years in from the first date of recommendation and concatenation of strings in family formulas has not been addressed. Concatenation of strings is a fundamental programming tool that should reside in a program as sophisticated as Revit. These types of shortfalls on fundamental elements cost content developers an unnecessary amount of time, and as a result, money.

By content developer I mean anyone engaged in the task of creating and/or modifying Revit families.

rickbuckman7925
Contributor

While we can now do this in Schedules, I do wish for the abilty to do this in the family editor. I wish to add these concatinated  values to 3D Text inside the families as a automated label system that we can use to review inside of Navisworks.

It would esintianly be the same function that we use in the schedule editor where we add the parameter to combine and then choose a seperator. The other otion would be the same as the tag label editor module.

In addition it would be helpful to use the string result as a means to drive a formula result. Curently text is not a means of formula validation.

marin.sandu
Participant

This would be very helpful indeed

andrewU93WN
Participant

Need this asap!! When I export trimble points, I want the readout on deck to be as comprehensive as possible via coded parameter values. The coded parameters would work best if I could concatenate several existing parameters. This would leverage an existing revit model's parameter values and allow us to discover huge untapped efficiencies...

Jim.Gleeson
Participant
I've been waiting on this for years. Good to see I'm not alone.
paulo.belesa
Participant
Did AD implemented this?
rickbuckman7925
Contributor
@paulo.belesa, I have not seen a solution for this yet. For now I do a crazy work around in my look up tables. I create code systems and static values. It takes a while to build but it works very well at the end user /project level.
akihiro_kono
Explorer

日本からもぜひこの機能をお願いします!!!。

I would like this function from Japan as well.

crapai
Advocate

Why would you want this feature when you can have generative design tools? Look at these cool design tools, don't look over here at this basic functionality gaps.

bwoolmer
Contributor

6 years and counting...…

It's ludicrous that this has not been implemented yet. Manufacturers having to manually type out type descriptions for every one of their products. 

Can we have an update from AD?

Thanks,

Ben

paulo.belesa
Participant
Please update!
marcus.s.s
Enthusiast

a fine idea indeed

crapai
Advocate

Autodesk, you there?

bayonle.windapo
Community Visitor

Autodesk!!!

Why do we pay for this?!! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report