Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window Head Height Determines placement rather than sill height

Window Head Height Determines placement rather than sill height

WIndows need to be fixed at the head height dimension and there should be a parameter that sets the head height of the window so that when the window gets modified it remains fixed at the head height. 

5 Comments
johnw
Collaborator

So in the Window family do i delete the "fixed Sill height" dimension that's located on the window opening, then add a "head height dimension"?

Last time I added a "Head Height" dimension and loaded in the project, and selected the window, I had (2) "Head Height" callouts in the Properties Dialog Box... would that be considered normal?

lionel.kai
Advisor

AFAIK, you can't export OOTB properties as shared parameters, so you would need to create your own (use different names to avoid confusion). Expect some oddities, though, as the OOTB families include Sill Height (or Default Sill Height) as a Type parameter in various categories, and you also get a Sill Height as an Instance parameter in the project when the family is loaded.

This is definitely an area that needs some cleanup...

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

johnw
Collaborator
Hi Sasha, thanks for the information. I, and all of my colleagues who've worked with me on Revit thus far have all determined that something must be done with showing the "wall finishes" on plan view drawings when running dimensions. In the construction industry (especially Residential) all dimensions are run to the framing members of walls, NOT to the final finishes. Framers and masons do not care about what finish is going to go on the walls. Also the overall width or depth of a house is determined by the foundation plan extents. The framing is located at these extents, and then the finishes of the walls are applied over the framing. To give accurate dimensions, these dimensions MUST go to the "Core" of the wall family.

There really needs to be a way to "turn off" the finishes in plan view so dimensions can go to the core lines (while in Course view). Even though many users of your site may not have expressed their approval for my post, EVERYONE I've spoken with in my industry and at events feel the same way as I do about this subject, and the importance of it. Revit is such a great program to use and adding a feature like this is "logical" and very practical for residential work. When printing plans, Course view is the only view that works since switching to higher detail will cause lines to blend together on the final print and look too thick. This is why having this solution is imperative to creating a better system for Residential BIM work.

Please, please discuss this again with your team and move forward on this idea.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report