Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning for Deleting View which is on a Sheet

Warning for Deleting View which is on a Sheet

It would be ideal to see a warning introduced if a view was deleted that was placed on a sheet. 

11 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kev_D It would be nice for REVIT to have a "lock" on the view on sheets, and if not, maybe a warning window should pop up letting the user know a view on a certain sheet would be deleted, and let user decide if this is what is intended.

cuen.saul
Advocate

And for schedules too.

Kev_D
Collaborator

@cuen.saul

Exactly. Anything placed on a sheet. Legends, schedules, drafting views, views, images... Anything!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to have more control on what views can or cannot be deleted. For example:

1. Views that are placed on sheets can not be deleted untill they are removed from the sheet.
  2. If a section/elevation/callout marker is pinned on a view then it can not be deleted untill it is un-pinned.
  3. In a worksharing model - if the view is owned by someone else then it can not be deleted by another person untill that view is relinquished
  4. Have a check box in the Properties window to 'lock' a view from being deleted untill it is unchecked

Anonymous
Not applicable

One way to prevent important views (like parent views) from being deleted is by placing a revision cloud in the view (plan, section, elevation etc) and then ticking 'issued' in the revision properties.

A specific revision could be created for this reason, just change the 'NUMBERING' & 'SHOW' to 'NONE' to prevent a revision sequence being added to the sheet and so the revision cloud is not visible in the view. You'll need to uncheck 'issued' to place another revision cloud, then go back and check 'issued' afterwards.

If someone tries to delete the view (or by accident) then a warning will pop up:

jmuntz_2-1593561177433.png

jmuntz_3-1593561770667.png

rolandga
Enthusiast

Views and families can too easily be deleted in the project browser. Please Autodesk, provide a way to lock these view items, or at least provide a warning when deleting a view that is on a sheet. When you have a dozen users in the model accidental deletions are bound to happen.

Kev_D
Collaborator

This idea was posted 3 years ago now and after multiple new Revit releases and updates, it is still only gathering support. It is badly needed so please look at this in more detail @Anonymous 

Kev_D
Collaborator

I have noticed that there is a new feature in the works that shows an icon beside each view that is on a sheet. Not exactly a warning (which I can't understand why it is not being looked at), but it is something.

https://trello.com/c/he5cDgH6

jcarwood
Contributor

Seems quite a few have similar ideas - see post below for links to other ideas and add votes if you're interested:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/add-warning-for-deleting-in-project-browser/idi-p/1170970...

jcarwood
Contributor

My comments and similar ideas have been merge to another comment, if you wanted to add you support:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/sheet-delete-warning/idi-p/9373893

j.muntz
Participant

Hi, I amazed that Autodesk has not yet implemented a more robust system to prevent view/sheet deletion. For example, when a view is deleted from the project browser there is NO warning pop-up, however if you delete a section/elevation marker in a view, then you will get a warning pop-up.

My work-around and by far the best way to prevent view/sheet deletion is by creating a revision which I name view protect - internal use and change the numbering to none so it does not effect revision sequences.

I then place a revision cloud on the view OR sheet I want to protect from deletion and then tick the revision as issued and set revision cloud show to none so you don't see the red revision cloud. Now when you try to delete the view/sheet from the properties window you will now get a warning saying "The Revision of this Revision Cloud has been issued. Deletion of this Revision Cloud is prohibited."

NOTE: applying a revision to a sheet by selecting the Revisions on sheets from the properties window will not protect the sheet from deletion even if the revision is ticked as issued. There has to be a revision cloud placed on the sheet to prevent deletion. This can be copied to multiple sheets by copying the revision cloud and pasting to multiple sheets at once by using the paste to selected views option.

Keep in mind though that this revision name will show on the revision table on the sheets, so you can just leave the date and revision name blank so nothing appears in the revision table.

Sheet Issues_Revisions - View Protect.jpg

View Deletion warning.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report