Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stacked Dimensions in Revit would be nice!!

35 Comments
aliQA4F6
Observer

I think staked dimensions are really needed

William.Cox6XVDX
Community Visitor

How are stacked Fraction not a thing yet. With a push for MEP contactors to move from AutoCad to Revit space saving on Shop Drawings are a must. Things like Stacked fractions and auto inline dim text shouldn't be that difficult to accomplish. 

JLaidacker
Explorer

It's 2021, why do we still not have stacked fractions? Do you know the industry you are supplying software for? Holy nightmare. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

chelsea.hoffman
Observer

To not have this feature at this stage in the game is a serious insult to the industry and to the dedicated users working in this software.   It's an industry standard for so many trades.  Can we PLEASE implement this feature in the next update ?  I'll be looking out for software updates on this.  I will continue to comment until this is fixed.  

cuddyUCMTK
Contributor

Vertically-stacked and diagonally-stacked fractions are both a must have. Give us options! What is the hold up on this? Stacked fractions has been a wishlist item as long as there has been a wishlist. Does the Monotype Corporation need to reissue Arial font with all fractions included in its character map? Seriously. Whatever the answer is, Autodesk needs to be proactive in this, because it really seems to users like we are being ignored.  Stacked Fractions, please, for the billionth time!

Unfortunately, font characters are only added based on Unicode definitions. And currently, Unicode supports only up to 1/8s and a few other weird ones. There are no 1/16s or finer. They can be added to what's known as a "Custom Dictionary" but only that font would have them. I proposed this years and years ago -- most modern fonts do have the 1/8ths in them and Revit should used those Unicode characters in dimensions when required. They should also supply a custom font with the other diagonal and vertical fractions when finer fractions are needed. I told them long ago exactly how this could be done, but there has little movement in this area (and many others).

JLaidacker
Explorer

I've read the above comments. But if AutoCAD using MTEXT can do it using Arial font. Then, why not Revit? We spend tons of money on this Revit product, not to have the ability to have fractions in our text. We are putting people in space people and helicopters on Mars! Year after year, Revit only seems to give minor improvements. Time to step it up! Screenshot 2021-06-15 110031.png

danberkman
Explorer

Not only does AutoCAD have this feature, but it's been part of that software for YEARS!  Revit is so far behind in terms of ability to document models it would be hilarious if it wasn't a huge problem. 

dlangamer
Explorer

5 years and they still haven't implemented such a useful function that is already present in other BIM software (Archicad, for example)

samuelsanf
Advisor

@kimberly.fuhrman can you merge this idea with this other (practically duplicate the same request)?:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/fractional-text/idi-p/7584541

CBJ253
Explorer

Hello!

Its 2022 and we still need this 🙂

hmedcalfL23J7
Contributor

I know there's a workaround to manually edit the text of dimensions and type the fraction such as ex.) 10' - 5 ½, however this is tedious to perform this action for every instance. This small workaround doesn't entirely fix the issue either as I would prefer to have fractions stacked on top of each other. This allows dimensions to not take up so much space and matches the style that my firm uses in AutoCAD.

Tags (2)
gittyhollander
Observer

Any type of stacked fractions within dimensions are a must! Not having that option makes the dimensions very hard to read. I am trying to switch to Revit from AutoCAD and this is a big issue for me. I cannot believe that this hasn't yet been included in an update.

AHannerWQTNY
Explorer

Not the greatest workaround, but subscript and superscript looked similar-enough to the OOTB structural tag with a diagonal fraction.   

AHannerWQTNY_1-1701891647611.png

jburdenK6GHR
Observer

This feature is a "Must Have". We all know that editing text in a dimension is against good and proper CAD practices. The fraction in a dimension MUST be generated by the software, manual replacement of text in a dimension is not acceptable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report