Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hatching in Revit like Autocad

Hatching in Revit like Autocad

Old time Autocad users may remember how you used to have to create a polyline to create a hatch in Autocad,  then Autocad came out with dynamic hatch, which allowed you to click in an area to create a hatch.   Revit needs to move into the dynamic hatch realm with fill. With Revit fill I feel like I am back in Autocad 8.

19 Comments
jaboone
Advocate

Instead of drawing each lengh of line for a boundry I would like to see a new method that allows me to select a pick point and have revit do the work of finding a boundry or add selected connected poly line.

Tags (5)
matthew_taylor
Advisor

Agreed. While I'm not a fan of filled regions in general, they're a necessary evil of drafting views. May as well make them effortless to make.

(I'm doing typical details at the moment, and this is so painful I'm thinking of writing an app myself...)

sarsenault2CCSS
Advisor

Have a look at the Hatchkit plugin for Revit

http://hatchkit.com.au/

But yeah, Autodesk should integrate this in their software.

Yien_Chao
Advisor
It was 2 different companies and approaches back then.
npersson
Contributor

+1  Would be a tremendous timesaver

npersson
Contributor

Plain and simple, a way to automatically sketch the filled region to the boundaries of a clicked area, more or less exactly the way it works in AutoCAD. It would then be even better if it then also picked the same line styles as the boundary lines.

I feel hatching is one of the major omissions in Revit drafting, and creating filled regions is a very tedious process. Pick lines helps but only for simpler areas and usually result in a lot of trimming afterwards.

An automatic sketch mode for the filled region tool would also make it easier to trace/convert dwg files.

ipselute
Advisor
More simpler said: the filled regions should support patterned fills, not just monochrome or gradient. In Autocad fills are located under the hatch command, fills are just another type (opaque) of hatch pattern.
npersson
Contributor

The problem with this headline is that it is not obvious what is requested unless you have experience with Autocad, and even if you do, this request is specifically for the dynamic hatch functionality. It's unfortunate, but this request will likely get lost among all sorts of hatch requests, like a hatch editor or as the above comment about patterned fills.

kenmahood
Contributor
I am new to Revit Ideas, can I change the title or should I make a new post with Revit filled regions in the title?
npersson
Contributor

I don't think a new topic will help, as I didn't realize your idea was about the dynamic hatch and created a topic called 'Auto-find boundaries for a filled region' but it was merged into yours by a moderator.  🙂

Best bet would be if you could clarify the headline a bit, and if that is possible, you as the topic creator are probably the only one that can do that. I don't have an active idea so I can't check for myself, but if that doesn't work it might be possible to ask a moderator for help.

sarsenault2CCSS
Advisor

@kenmahood You do realise that you can use "pick line" and then use TAB to select all the lines of the hatch right?

Perhaps you should create a new one called "Automatically convert hatches to filed regions"

npersson
Contributor

@sarsenault2CCSS This idea is about creating new filled regions, not editing existing ones.

vritsmit
Contributor

I want Revit have a tool like magic wand in Archicad.

A tool that make slab by point inside closed wall boundary.

Or make closed line in any boundary such as Referrence plane or line from AutoCAD DWG.

It's will be safe time when create model pattern.

dzanta
Advisor

I would like the Filled Region command to work as follows:

- when you are in sketchmode to create the boundary, instead of drawing the boundary, click inside an area and let Revit figure out the limits of the area....just like AutoCAD Hatch Pick Point command and like Bluebeam Revu's Dynamic Fill command.

tw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The filled region tool is extremely convenient for sketching and quickly estimating square footage, but (let's face it) Revit could do with some more quick&easy sketching tools. I wish the Filled Region Tool (and similar) could have a FLOOD FILL mode just like AutoCAD lets you click inside an enclosed region / boundary to create a hatch, or like Photoshop will do with the paint bucket tool. Heck, this could actually be an area measure mode as well, without the need to create a FR object first. 

Tags (4)
hathBXZGE
Participant

It would still be very good, if Revit update so that you can make hatch just pointing in a room or closed area  like you can do in AutoCAD

eblackburnEFFVJ
Enthusiast

We used to do this in ArchiCAD in order to very quickly generate proper-looking profile lines in elevations. You could draw a large rectangle to create a border around your elevation and then the Magic Wand tool would create a flood fill with a hatch. Boom! Instant profile lines along the edge of the fill.

Hard to believe this only had 9 votes in almost 4 years. Well, it's 10 votes now!

Revit's Silhouette Lines under Model Display Preferences are pathetic with no control over their application. SketchUp handles this beautifully and should be an example of how this is done automatically.

Alex_Pendray
Enthusiast

It is absolutely wild that this doesn't have more support.  I cant think of a drawing software that does not have any sort of flood function besides Revit.  I know at this point it will never happen though as it would be more embarrassing for autodesk to have to announce that they have finally added such a basic function at this late date.  I suppose its still important to vote for these types of things regardless but it feels demoralizing.

ipselute
Advisor

Filled Regions need Island Detection like Hatches of Autocad. If Area Plan can detect boundaries automatically, Filled Regions should do that too. It is totally hilarious to manually pick line by line to create boundaries. I have to click-select hundreds of lines for each floor. 

I need to hatch/fill all the floor spans between all the beams and walls. I also need to exclude from the hatch all the MEP voids and the skyline voids.

I can do that in Autocad with several clicks by using Pick Internal Point option. Good luck doing that in Revit!

BIM it's not entirely about 3D modeling. It's about the small details and schetches that it's supposed to do it better than Autocad does. Hybrid views (3d model + advanced CAD elements) is the key to succes. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report