Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Render Grass

Render Grass

I would love it to be able to provide a realistic render of grass without having to export to another program. The current tiled pattern for grass looks terrible.

4 Comments
dgorsman
Consultant

"Looks terrible" is a bit subjective.  Could you post a couple samples, please?

EmptySaturnV
Advocate

2017-03-13.png

This is obviously a low quality rendering, but the tiling on grass compared to every other element in revit is subpar. Buildings and plantings look great, but grass leaves much to be desired. I have researched for a couple of years to find a better way to accomplish this in Revit and others have voiced the same opinion that you basically have no option except to use a 3rd party program to finish up your rendering. If anyone knows a better way to accomplish this in Revit and actually have it look decent, I would love to know the process.

dgorsman
Consultant

Yeah - tiling is OK when there is *supposed* to be repetitive patterns, like the roofing.  What I'd really like is some basic procedural materials with some random features (bump, shade), not only for grass but gravel and similar ground cover as well.  That way the basic image of grass can be tiled but it will have slight random undulations and changes in color.  I don't think a full-on "hair" system for long grass is called for though - that's what "other" programs like 3DSMAX are for.

In Navisworks, I've gotten around the tiling with using a triangulated surface and 3-4 different materials, varied by angle and scale.  Each adjoining triangle gets a different material from it's neighbor.  Not horribly tedious but I only do it for surfaces close to the camera.

Kimtaurus
Advisor

I understand that the graphics of the terrain are far from ideal. But then again, Revit is modelling software, not rendering software. How the grass looks like has nothing to to with architecture or BIM.

If you want realistic grass, I suggest you use a program like 3DSMax, VRay,...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report