Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"OR" in filter rules

"OR" in filter rules

There is currently no "Or" capability in filter rules, which makes it very difficult/inefficient at times to filter.  For instance: assume I only want to see walls that contain CMU or Concrete in the type name.  I can create a filter for Just the concrete walls easily, and do the same for the CMU.  But one filter with OR could easily accomplish the task.

104 Comments
Arjan.Peeters
Enthusiast

And exclusief OR! (XOR)

joslindave
Advocate

The filter interface could use a lot of improvements, being able to select from any parameter would be a good start. Maybe keep the current interface as default, but add an "Advanced" button, which allows you to build a better query, say like Navisworks' "Find Items" dialog?

bosborne
Advocate
The navisworks interface would be great in filters. I really hate being limited to a handful of rules.
schlueter
Advocate

An "or" filter in schedules would be great too.

bosborne
Advocate
I never specified that this post was about view filters. Any filter should have the ability to put an "or" or "xor" between rules/sets of rules. Ideally we would be able to simply re-use filters we've already created and apply them to schedules instead of re-creating the same rules on schedule filters.
JMounteer
Enthusiast

This is the biggest frustration when trying to create filters of any sort, but most specifically Scheduling. Often the work-around is "create a dummy parameter to find what you want to filter for" and that's rather ridiculous. 

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision.  

The Factory

EKey
Advocate

And should be brackets there to combine conditions, i.e sex=boy AND (age<2 OR age >7)

Arjan.Peeters
Enthusiast
Yes please!

Get Outlook for iOS
sasha.crotty
Community Manager

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Factory

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

tomek
Collaborator
Awesome. Since Revit is a database (hopefully relational) then I think that putting together arbitrary Boolean queries is not really the problem. It feels to me like a UI problem.
bosborne
Advocate
BarrieSharp
Contributor

Please add all logical operators whilst you're at it.  Also increase number of filter rules above 3 (8 perhaps) or option to add rules.  Maybe the Navisworks find all interface would be a good starting place.

helengorina7713
Contributor

It would be great to be able to add a sorting and filtering criteria as needed. In other words, if I need another criteria for sorting, I would like to have an "ADD" button. For filtering, in addition to "ADD" button, we need logical "OR"

'

damo3
Advisor
pieter7
Advisor

I've been creating filters a lot today and OR filters would really make it a lot easier. 

Also three rules are way too much, especially if you start to use OR conditions. Ideally we would be able to add as much rules as needed and have an option to nest them. For instance

(Condition a AND condition B) OR condition C

Condition a AND (condition B OR condition C)

etc

tomek
Collaborator

What we need is an interface like this one: http://querybuilder.js.org/ It allows for the creation of arbitrary queries/filters that use Boolean logic.

This is just an image but if you go to the URL you can play around with a live demo.

screenshot.4.jpg

-t

SeanMTA
Advocate

This will make Multi-Category schedules very powerful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report