Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Property Line Arcs

Property Line Arcs

Revit seems to be unable to completely label property line arc segments.  Plats that I have received have a chord length and a delta bearing on them as well as the other parameters.  If those metrics are important to surveyors, why are they not in Revit's parameters for creating the property lines and scheduling and tagging?  Please look at this post from landarchBIM.com:  https://landarchbim.com/2014/10/03/property-lines-and-tagging-arcs/   It explains how you can retrieve the information from the drawing and accurately label a Property Line arc segment.  Surely one should not need to go to this amount of effort and still be prone to mistake.  This should be corrected in Revit. 

6 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revit seems to be unable to completely label property line arc segments.  Plats that I have received have a chord length and a delta bearing on them as well as the other parameters.  If those metrics are important to surveyors, why are they not in Revit's parameters for scheduling and tagging?  Please look at this post from landarchBIM.com.  It explains how you can retrieve the information from the drawing and accurately labels a Property Line arc segment.  Surely one should not need to go to this amount of effort and still be prone to mistake.  This should be corrected in Revit.  Here is the link I was referring to https://landarchbim.com/2014/10/03/property-lines-and-tagging-arcs/.

This suggestion was originally posted by someone else, but it did not get the votes it deserved and therefore was archived.  Please help me get this idea up and running and vote, vote, vote!!!  Thank you.

Tags (3)
D_Slaa
Advocate

This would be a fantastic fix! As well as adding in the ability to properly draw a property line arc so that guess and check is removed from creating it using the chord length (or distance as it in the table), as thats a number the surveyor doesn't put on plans. It took me forever to figure out that drawing an arc for property lines is by chord length and chord bearing, then the radius. Surveyors only ever have the radius on their plans... along with the arc length and the bearing of the property line end points as it refers to the center of the radius.

D_Slaa
Advocate

Surveyor.JPGRevit site plan.JPG

CADdaddy.com
Collaborator

I agree.  Adding a tangent curve to a property line table is difficult.  Most people probably don't know that it's the bearing of the cord of the arc that needs to entered in order to make the arc tangent.  Calculating the bearing of the cord based on the arc length and radius is fairly trivial and could easily be automated.

My suggestion is to add a "check mark" column in the property line table with the header "Is Tangent" so that the bearing of the cord line is automatically calculated based on the radius and arc length.  Once the cord bearing is found the arc will be tangent using the cord bearing. Currently, I have to manually calculate the bearing angle every time I encounter an arc on a lot map in order to make the arc tangent.  It doesn't happen super often, but each time it does happen, it takes some time to dig up the formula and remember how to apply it.

I explored the possibility of developing an app using the Revit.api but a method to edit or create a property line does not yet exist.

James

brian.wardHGDWW
Community Visitor

CADdaddy,

I have a property line with two separate arcs. All I have on the plat is the arc length and the radius. Would you mind telling me how to determine the bearing of the cord?

BrianCapture.PNG

CADdaddy.com
Collaborator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report