Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prefix and Suffix Text in dimension Style

Prefix and Suffix Text in dimension Style

Please Include  Above / Below / Prefix or Suffix "TEXT" in dimension Style for primary units. 

28 Comments
lionel.kai
Advisor
Sahay_R
Mentor

Would you please add having an option on dimensions to have a prefix and suffix that we can build into the dimension string, similar to what they have for Alternate Units?  It is a pain in the butt when dimensioning existing buildings to have to go and put a ± after every dimension.  It would be nice to set up an existing dimension type and have that suffix automatically pop in after the dimension.

yavork
Advocate
theresa_scalia
Contributor

I have been wishing for this "Dimension Suffix" solution since I have been using Revit! Please! It should be as simple as adding another field to the Type Parameters, like the Alternate Units Prefix and Suffix that is already included.

Anonymous
Not applicable

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/dimensions-how-can-i-add-a-suffix-to-all-dim...

People have been asking for this since 2010. Its such a basic but important need, and no reason it couldn't be implemented easily if it can be done for alternate units. 

@sasha.crotty not sure why autodesk has taken the approach of: "if not enough people found this thread and upvoted it, this it NOT going to happen" 

you should desire to make your software better, regardless of whether or not the end user recognizes that it could be better. Dimensions already have 40 parameters, add two more that make good sense, even if only 10 people have pledged their support here.

Anonymous
Not applicable
sasha.crotty
Community Manager

@Anonymous, I guess I can't win whatever I do 🙂

First of all, the Revit team works on many ideas from Revit Ideas that are not at the top of the list. I occasionally get a hard time for that too - what's a gal to do?!  Anyway, the decision to work on an idea is a matter of balancing the impact, number of customers affected, difficulty, team availability, release schedule, etc. There are plenty of really great ideas that we're not able to act on immediately for a number of reasons, but I assure you that we are always looking for opportunities to make our software better. 

Second, as you've probably seen there has been quite a few requests for cleaning up the Revit Ideas list (it is its own idea). In this case, this specific idea was archived as part of a batch operation where I archived over 1000 ideas that met certain criteria. That means that I did not individually review the ideas. Archiving is one of the (unfortunately few) tools I have at my disposal to clear out older ideas that have not generated a lot of community interest. This action was in response to customer requests to clean out unpopular ideas so that good ideas don't get lost. 

I realize that the reasons for apparent lack of interest/votes can vary (for example if an idea has a poorly worded title). This is why if you or the OP feel that the idea is worthy of another try, you are welcome to resubmit. If the new idea takes off we are happy to combine votes from the archived idea into the new one. Further, if you see an archived issue that you think is worthy of being resurrected I am happy to un-archive it given a compelling argument. I can adjust the title on request too, etc. I'm pretty flexible!

Regarding the fate of this particular idea, since you were so kind as to link a duplicate, I am going to go ahead and merge the two. 

Happy new year!

theresa_scalia
Contributor

Please add the option to type in a prefix or suffix to a dimension - it is already available for alternate units, PLEASE include the same for primary units.

Tags (2)
Jason_S
Collaborator

Having done many renovations, having this as an option for a dimension style would be such a time saver.

purvigirwin
Advocate

There is a third-party add-in that can do this, but I agree that having it native to Revit would be very useful.

Jason_S
Collaborator

Purvigirwin - Can you share the name of the add-in?  Thanks

purvigirwin
Advocate

Definitely. It's called Revit Workflow. It does a lot more than that - you can use it to automatically rename rooms and doors sequentially, create finish floors based on room boundaries, and much more.

https://revolutiondesign.biz/products/revit-workflow/features/

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't understand Autodesk, prefix and suffix additions, when creating new dimension styles, have been part and parcel of the AutoCAD application for many years. Reading the thread it appears that this has been asked for in Revit for a number of years. To me it is a very simple and easy to use process (in AutoCAD), I think Autodesk are very short sighted in not transferring this, and a number of other useful AutoCAD processes, over to Revit, without the need to load in a 3rd party add-in. Please sort it out and make peoples lives just that bit simpler, it's not rocket science.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any luck getting this yet? Geez I just want to add  " ± "    to like 30 dimensions, and if Autodesk added a [text value] "Prefix" or "Suffix" type parameter to the dimension system family, would be 4 seconds, rather than 4 seconds per dimension.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous check out pyrevit, it has a tool to do this. 

lionel.kai
Advisor

@Anonymous I'm not seeing that as part of my install... but I found this: https://github.com/eirannejad/pyRevit/issues/290 (I don't see those in my ribbon tabs). I even tried the 3rd-party packages...

EDIT: I just found one here: pyRevit > Modify > Override > Override Dims (but it doesn't seem to allow you to specify prefix or suffix, and the ± is a prefix, not suffix). Although it seems easy enough to add an option (alt-click the command, then edit script.py) - but not something I'd have my end-users do. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lionel.kai im not suggesting that this is the solution to the original request & I believe that this should be built directly into revit.

I was simply trying to help @Anonymous with her very specific task. While many  end users might not want to edit a script, some people are okay with that, so i hope that this helps in the meantime before Autodesk fulfills this request.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lionel.kai @Anonymous Thanks guys, and I hope they work on Dimensions further as well.

They function more efficiently than CAD imo, but they have some quirks still that I would love to see worked on, and this just one of them.

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Factory

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

We are pleased to say that this has been implemented in Revit 2022!

-The Factory

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report