Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pipe fastening - nested families in assemblies

pipe fastening - nested families in assemblies

Hello community!

In our applications - pipe fastening - we always have the issue that we need all nested families in assemblies also in the material lists!

Is there a way that ALL nested families in an assembly are always displayed and also taken into account for the material lists?

For example, our family for the pipe fastening consists of a pipe clamp, a threaded rod and a dowel and ALL nested families must always be taken into account in the parts lists.

THANK YOU for your feedback, the support and maybe also solutions!

BR Peter

4 Comments
k_speropoulos
Enthusiast

if you make sure your nested families are "shared" then you should be able to get the results you are looking for.

riempet
Participant

Excatly this ist the problem and also a bug in REVIT, see as reference the following posting from @hazem.adelRe: Verschachtelte Familien in Baugruppen verwenden und anzeigen - Autodesk Community - Internationa...

Translation of the main post:

yes now it is clear and I know this problem in Revit or let's call it a bug.
If you select the assembly and then edit it, you can add something to the assembly and select the other parts or nested families, this works but if you have many assemblies, unfortunately it takes too long.
Accordingly, I recommend solving the problem with Dynamo. You can write a little dynamo code to assign a parameter to the different nested families, which is then automatically added to the assembly.
It's not complicated, I wish I had time to write it for you.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

BR Peter

k_speropoulos
Enthusiast

If this is a bug, have you thought of creating a single family with shared nested families inside of it instead of creating an assembly with nested families?  This would allow you to make modifications to the single family that will modify all instances in the model.  It will also allow you to copy or move the whole thing without the need to select each individual nested family.  If each family is set to "shared" it should give you the results you are looking for with a bill of materials for everything.

riempet
Participant

Hello @k_speropoulos, this is not possible, because our applications for pipe fastening are everytimes a parametric familie (yellow box in the picture) of nested families like pipe ring + threaded rod + connector and this parametric families are than assembled to on solution like a channel with 4 parametric families like written before. BR Peter

riempet_0-1678291578903.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report