Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phase Visibility Control via View Filters

Phase Visibility Control via View Filters

Using phase filters to control the appearance of elements is archaic and limiting and confusing. View Filters have come very far and View Templates have as well so now it's time to let us control the appearance of element's phase status via View Filters along with so many other things. You should be able to select current phase, any prior phase, or a specific phase in the filter and then control appearance for those filtered elements just like you would any other View Filter.

89 Comments
bosborne
Advocate

I agree wholeheartedly that this is absolutely necessary.  Primarily because View Filters completely override Phase Filters - if you use View filters at all, you cannot use Phase Filters  - or at least you have to pick what each controls (Phase Filters control linestyles, line weight and halftone only, View Filters control colors and transparency only).  Besides simply adding the Phases into the capability of View Filters, the rules of Phase Filters need to be ported into the View Filter Capability so that a rule-based filter could be created (Filter = Wall Type Name begins with Concrete and Phase equals <view current phase>  vs  Filter = Wall Type Name begins with Concrete and Phase is before <view current phase> )

brenan.sellers
Advocate

The only thing I don't like about phase filters is that the existing phase material overides all my hatch patterns.  Otherwise I don't mind them as Phase is project wide condition that I don't want to try and change with each view.

mp_thompson
Advocate

Visibility Graphics options for phasing are a must for me.

There already is the function to alter visibility graphics for imports etc, so why not Phases?

jkidder
Collaborator

There are many cases where this would come in handy.  Sometimes there is a desire to see existing areas (like walls) hatched in exisiting, but not for other family categories.  Also, the existing material overide can be handy, but annoying if you still want glass to be transparent.

charlv
Advocate

We want to add more colors to the phases eg. new walls are Red, new floors are yellow and new roofs are green vs existing walls, floor and roofs that are grey.

Tags (3)
RicWeber.Design
Enthusiast
This could be done rather simply via Filters... IF we could filter by Phase Created.
jkidder
Collaborator

Being able to filter in views and schedules by phase would be useful in so many ways. A global phase filter is fine to get the general things sorted, but it doesn't handle:

• wanting to see a hatch on existing walls (but not everything else)
  • Wanting to see existing elements with a certain line/hatch - but only in 3/4" and larger scale views
  • Wanting to color code project scope by phase
  • Identifying between areas/rooms in the scope and not in the scope
  • Separating elements that are existing and not for different treatment (such as a door schedule - these are new doors, these are existing doors that get new hardware)

Right now the work arounds are to add another, manual, parameter to elements to identify the phase or duplicating (and managing) duplicates (EXISTING_Gyp Wall and Gyp Wall) that allow view and schedule filters to find a way to catch the requisite items.

casquatch
Collaborator

Agreed on all.

It seems that we either need to be able to filter by phase, or just have way more granular options within the Phasing Graphic Overrides. I like the fact that the phasing overrides are project wide, because then I know someone won't forget to adjust their view template, etc.

We also seem to always run into conflicts of one category needing to show a surface pattern, while another doesn't. So being able to adjust those per category might help. Sure it's a lot more setup in a template, but it would make for simple phasing in the end.

casquatch
Collaborator
lionel.kai
Advisor

@brenan.sellers You can always remove the material from the Phase Overrides (and just use Halftone, etc.).

I've been wishing for this since we first started doing renovation work in Revit (which was one of our first few projects). We currently have two types of Concrete Material because our cut patterns are different for new & existing. If we could just use a Filter to replace the cut pattern for Concrete (or even a setting in the Material, though most others wouldn't change) we could avoid having to worry about setting the Type (and Material) properly when we're working on a renovation project.

matt
Advocate

Right now its either all or nothing...We have to choose one override for all building elements, which is too broad a sword to graphically express what we need to. I would like different cut lines and projection patterns for existing floors, windows, and doors, but currently they all get washed out to the same value with the Show Prev + New filter.

vincent
Advocate

Would be nice if we could override Category graphics individually as opposed to a universal override as it is now.

Phases VG.jpg

jkarben
Advocate

If only concerned about the New Category as highlighted you could set the New Phase Graphic Override to "No Override" and then set your various graphics in model category of Visibility Graphics V/G.

Or if left as shown you could add filters to the view to change the graphics of each category. Filters trump Phase Overrides

Adding existing and demolition Phase Overrides for each category...now that could be useful

bosborne
Advocate

Filters Trump Phase Overrides - both a blessing and a curse.  If you use filters heavily (such as to distinguish between CMU wall line weights and Concrete wall line weights) then you pretty much can't use phasing.  Or you have to pick what controls what (Filters control Line Weight and Line Color - Phasing Controls Halftone and Line Color).   

Why not just allow Phasing to be a filterable criteria - then people could build whatever Phasing Overrides they want, combine them with other filters, and not worry about which set of criteria trumps the other?  Having the Phasing as a completely separate set of overrides/filters is a holdover of old code and needs to be re-thought/re-worked/merged.

SamuelAB
Advocate

I'd like to show the phases visually like this:

(this was achieved with Worksets)

news-2013-fall-revitmodel-17.jpg

Revit does not allows Visual filters for phases

WheresMyPhase.jpg

Please allows View Filters to see phases or create a button similar to "Worksharing Display" for phasing. We need a way to see if our model is phases properly through quick visual means.

Add to the list of scenarios where this would be really helpful is with electrical floor plans where a short dashed line that works for electrical symbols make architectural elements that are to be demolished look dotted.

For Mechanical we often do a drawing that shows the mechanical items to be demolished in bold with all other elements in a fine line. Still want to show the architectural demolition to have a dashed line. Since the phase filters are universal currently this is done through manual overrides in the view (for bold, the line type works from the phase filter settings)

matt
Advocate

Simple. Current phase filter is a broadsword. Sometimes a scalpel is needed.

revitworkbench
Collaborator

I agree!

chrisplyler
Mentor

Please add phase-related parameters into the "Filter By" list used in View Filter rules.

This would solve the many complaints regarding the hierarchy of graphical overrides, e.g. view filters messing up the indication of phasing. We would be able to have a view filter that only picks up and overrides - for example - the NEW ductwork instead of all the ductwork.

pieter7
Advisor

We show our demolition on separate plans (only showing existing condition + what is going to be demolished).

Right now, for this to work,  you have to set the view phase to "New construction" and use a phase filter "Previous+Demo". The problem is: everything you draw in this view is immediately hidden (because the view is set to "new construction" all elements created in it are assigned "new construction" as their "phase created")!

If we would have this functionality, we could create a view which phase it set to "existing" (so elements created in this view are assigned that phase). We could then set the phase filter to 'none' but instead hide new construction items by using view filters.

Seems like there's a lot of different applications!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report