Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pause View Updates

Pause View Updates

Revit's "change it once and update everywhere" is a great feature. However, this causes problems when new users come on board that have to contribute to a project and are not yet experts. They delete, copy, move or otherwise edit elements by mistake (or on purpose) which then ripples through the whole drawing set.

The proposal is the following:

1. Every Revit view should have an instance property called "Auto-update." If enabled (by default) all elements would be updated as is currently designed. If disabled, Revit would keep the graphics of the current view at that time.

2. A green or black frame would be displayed around the view, and the line work could be half-toned or otherwise differentiated from a regular view. 

3. When "Auto-update" is enabled again, the view would regenerate to the current state of the model.

4. You would be able to tag and dimension frozen views, but they would reference the old values. You would not be able to update element parameters in these frozen tags. Selecting elements in these views would not select them in any other view. 

5. Behind the scenes this could be treated like a hidden design option, that is not visible in any other view. When you enabled auto-update the saved elements would be purged from the database.

Thanks!

3 Comments
jkidder
Collaborator

I am not in support of this idea.  The whole point of Revit is that, unlike a drafting program, if you update one view it updates other views.  There are already plenty of ways to fake information in the program.  I don't need to add "find un-updated views" to my list of QA chores.  Program changes should not be a substitute for lack of training.

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

I agree with jkidder.

This is a training issue, not a software issue.

ralvarez1976
Enthusiast

I agree that it is a training issue, but with tight deadlines and fast moving projects, how do you find the time to train staff fast enough to trust them in the model? There is too much room for error.

Also, it comes down to development of design. We may be working out portions of the design, but want to keep a previous version that worked, until the temporary sketch is accepted by the client and coordinated. Until then, we don't want to blow up every view unnecessarily just because the model is not 100% correct yet.

The automatic updates actually cause more QA/QC issues than they solve, because previously reviewed sheets, that should not have anything changed, all of the sudden have tags that have been moved by Revit due to a model element edit. We want to have greater control over those kinds of things.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report