Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset of Cable Trays and Ducts

Offset of Cable Trays and Ducts

For Ducts and Cable Trays the Offset should follow the Vertical Justification. For Example, if you draw a Cable Tray with the vertikal justification "Bottom" and an offset of 23cm, the offset displayed is 28cm instead. For our MEP people the situation is always very unfavorable, since they never look at the middle axis, but always at the top or bottom edge of a cable tray or duct.

Cable_Tray_Offset.png

14 Comments
gianfranco.pavan
Contributor

Important function. Electrical engineers need it.

kevinm40
Participant

This should go for Pipe as well. It would be nice to be able to route piping by OD bottom instead of the centerline. This would allow multiple runs of piping of different type and diameter to be at the same elevation above finished floor.  

jill_chen
Autodesk

Hi alexandra and who voted this topic, 

If I understand correctly,  the issue may include:

1. The "offset" is not a consistent value when placing a cable tray/duct and after placed it with Bottom or Top Vertical Justification

2. Will this also impact on the Annotation and how would it impact in you real workflow?

Thank you very much!

jill_chen
Autodesk

Hi @alexandra.lazar

Thank you for reporting this, could you share the cases about how will the "Offset" issue impact you during modeling or documentation?  I'd like to make sure to understand the real issue, and check with team for the proper solutions. 

And for cable tray and duct, there are two parameters related with offset: "Bottom Elevation" "Top Elevation"(see attached image), will these two parameters helps? 

CableTray Offset.png

scbunker
Collaborator

I don't think that the issue is a matter of documentation, because, as you said, the bottom and top elevations are available for use. The issue is the ease of modeling. 

When we're modeling, we're not thinking about the centerline of the tray, but rather the bottom of the tray (I think in terms of bottom, some others may think in terms of top). If the Offset refers to the centerline only, then we are having to do constant math in our head when we're inputting 'Offset'.

I think that we're asking to be able to specify what portion of the cable tray that 'Offset' refers to. This could be accomplished with radio buttons beside the 'Offset' field which are labeled "Bottom" "Center" and "Top."

If you do radio buttons, it would be very important that Revit remember which option was last selected and not revert to some other default setting.

sureshchotrani
Advisor

In simple terms if we select Bottom for Vertical Justification then Offset from particular level should be with respect to Bottom of Duct and not center of Duct. 

Currently, even if we select Bottom for Vertical justification it takes offset from the center of Duct, it should take offset from Bottom of Duct.

shujath36
Advocate

This has become a big concern for me when I was transferring info from .dwg files.  Sureshchotrani has rightly pointed out the flaw in bottom/top vertical justification. The problem further intensifies while annotating the BOT. levels for trays.

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi folks.. thanks for all your comments and suggestions thus far.  I'm pleased to mark this idea as 'Accepted'.  I'd invite you all to take this discussion to the beta.  If you are not already a beta participant, please reach out to us via revit.preview.access@autodesk.com , and we can get you involved in some hands-on with the progress made here.

sureshchotrani
Advisor

Thanks for the update.

jill_chen
Autodesk

When consider the insulation of duct, what would be the expect behavior in your workflow with insulation on when modifying the bottom or top elevation of the duct? Thanks!

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This functionality is included in the 2019.2 release for duct, pipe, and conduit.

sureshchotrani
Advisor

Thanks for the updates @Martin__Schmid 

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report