Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object snap on text objects

Object snap on text objects

Text objects need to allow to snap to many different points on texts, here are some of them:

text snap points.png

These are helpful to align annotation to these points or texts of different heights to another.

Example: You often need a box around the text with a specific, exact padding. It is currently not possible to do that, it can only be done approximately by drag and drop.

11 Comments
harmenverburg
Enthusiast

The workaround I'm using today is drawing a Detail Line and creating a Model/Detail Group from it to have the right snaps.

LyleHardin
Advisor

I've been looking for this feature too. Snapping to text would be a great time saver. Even using SE (for the corners of text) and SC (for the Center) or SM (for the middle top or middle bottom) snaps would work. No need to create new snap options. Just make the current ones work with text.

rhiggins
Contributor

This is a silly limitation.

Until we are only providing the model to AHJs and Contractors we will need better drafting tools. Having text and other "drafted" elements all over the place on a sheet gives the impression that little care was taken in the development of the set and makes you look unprofessional.

Yes, we can fake things to look like they all align but Autodesk could make our lives a little easier if things snapped or otherwise behaved better.

pieter7
Advisor
rhiggins
Contributor

that one appears to only be referring to labels and the inability to have the bounding box of a label auto-adjust based on the number of characters in a label in addition to the fact that the label is also not "snappable"

pieter7
Advisor

@rhiggins I grant that there are differences in the implementation and I favor the description in the thread, but keep in mind that with over 4000 submitted ideas, joining forces (and votes) is going to help to get something done. Combined these two ideas potentially have over a 100 votes, moving it up way closer to the top.

Combining it will also keep all the comments (and original topics) so no info will get lost. The factory usually checks all the comments before implementing an idea. 

As a general rule, ideas that keep the main idea simple (text parameter in formulas) have the best change of gathering a lot of votes. In the comments, people can add ideas on what that means for them and what the dev. team should consider when implementing.

gmp-autodesk1
Contributor

Consolidating this with the other thread may be possible although it's a bit different. I'll ask David if this here would help him with his problem and if he agrees to a merge.

Wait a second. Is his idea really the same as mine here? As far as I understand it he wants the border to automatically "snap" to the text width of the parameter value inside of it. I want an actual object snap to text in order to align something to the text, that's something very different.

rickgauthier
Explorer

Revit provides us with the ability for text elements to align with other text elements by displaying a temporary dashed blue line.

A feature that would enhance text placement is the ability to snap to (grab) text objects at their justification points; that is, Upper left, Middle left, Lower left, Upper right, Middle right, Lower right.  This would speed up the placement, positioning and alignment of text.

Also, text should be able to respond to the ALIGN command.

Tags (3)
sarsenault2CCSS
Advisor

I'd love to be able to use the length of my resulting text as part of my annotation family. this would allow me to have tags that get bigger with the text inside them instead of creating multiple tags with different sizes that have to be selected manually.

tags.jpg

For example, if I just write, "6" it will be a small tag because the text is only so long and I can see that length. If I write a super long tag name, then it would automatically stretch because I'd use the text length parameter as part of the tag to stretch it.

sarsenault2CCSS
Advisor
Please not that my merged idea above would only be validly merged if you can extract the length of the text into an parameter that can feed other parameters.
damon07
Enthusiast

This would give another level of accuracy! Text was so much better on Autocad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report