Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-rectangular Scope Box

Non-rectangular Scope Box

We have non-rectangular crop regions.  Can we please have non-rectangular scope boxes so we don't have to copy/paste the non-rectangular crop region to 30 views.......

152 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

section boxes should be a family type that we can edit.

greeeet tread DMK!

priscillia_champagne
Contributor

I agree with the above requests. This could really help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

found this gem this morning, and it fixed my problem.  Although it doesn't make the scope box appear as irregularly shaped, it still crops our info that might be included in an adjacent scope box...

https://www.jarodschultz.com/odd-shaped-viewports-in-revit/

pearlofsadness
Advocate

AGREE!!! Right now I have to literally export my model to SketchUp Pro to create several sections together 😞

mschofieldYXBZ7
Participant

Another year gone by without implementing something that should have been standard for years... 🙄

sdijanovic
Enthusiast

I always thought scope boxes could be made any shape (or at least polygon shape) and never realized this wasn't the case. I am surprised that after bringing this idea up in 2016 and having more than 1000 votes, it still has not been implemented in 2020. 

@sasha.crotty Any update that you can share with us?

duane.smith
Contributor

If making a non-rectangular scope box is such a huge hurdle to get over (seeing as how it's been 4 years in the suggestion box with no progress on that front), then how about giving the existing scope box object a hierarchical (clan/member or parent/child) relationship?  That way, you could make n number of scope boxes and associate them with a umbrella scope box "parent/clan".  Then, If an object like a grid is associated with that clan, it would appear within, and be controlled by the boundaries of, every member (scope box) of that clan that it can possibly pass through.  Think of the member scope boxes as pixels, that together paint a jagged picture; or building blocks that would allow you to create a jagged yet non-rectangular, master scope box.  If you break the areas up into small enough bites, you can then stitch them together to create a reasonable, non-rectangular, overarching scope box.  It's not ideal, obviously.  I think it would be a real pain to use.  I would still vote for being able to define a polygon boundary on scope boxes (just like we can do for views), but... if it's an easier work around to implement...  let's do the possible, and stop wishing for the improbable.

arek_keshishian
Advocate

Allow for multiple section boxes per view to create more complex cuts, like a 3D plan with some parts cut lower than the other, or a non-square cut in plan/elevation. I am aware of the sheet-workflow, but that has it's own limitations, like not being able to render, overlapping lines and tedious labour-work.

Thanks! 🙂

It would work for me if there is a section box but cuts what's inside it rather than what's out side, basically one that acts like a void on mass. it would be cool passing it through a model composed of multiple categories.fig_19.jpg  plus a good thing is it would make a view where you show a whole building with just a little part that is cut if needed to.

navid_deshmukh
Explorer

Can we have customization options for 3D view section box. e.g I have "L" Shaped toilet and I need to cut 3D view for toile in 3D EL shape.  I observed that this query is common for most of the users. Please refer attached image for more clarification.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DMK™ Care to share how you did that with combining boxes?

_camuz_
Enthusiast

Yes!... I vote to have non-rectangular section boxes!!! ... Currently I'm working on the model for the SALK INSTITUTE, and it would be great to be able to have a custom section box in order to show only the extent of the plot... Plus some programs such as Unreal Engine import the model using this section box. Please we need to have a custom-shaped section box!section box.PNG

_camuz_
Enthusiast
 @Anonymous I'd say it was done placing several views using section boxes in a sheet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been running into this issue for years and made stupid work around such as create two overlapping scope boxes and rotate positions and then need to plan views every sheet to get the desired cut point consistent and working. 

The ability to draw a poly outline to any desired shape really should be a priority and would hugely increase workflow output. Then being able to attach the annotation crop to the scope box for grids and similar to conform would be the next step with an offset parameter to be able to define a distance for grid heads. 

Is this even in AutoDesks list anymore because people have been asking for years now with nothing from them. 

aniket.patkar
Explorer

It would be helpful for irregular shaped toilets

mcordova
Enthusiast

Nothing like seeing a suggestion from 2016 being continuously asked for through 2020. This would be such a great feature.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Throwing in my two cents that this feature would be very much preferable to the current system of rectangular scope boxes and masking regions, which becomes problematic if not grouped and copied to all applicable views. Just let us define scope areas with polygons, please.

MichaelWolff
Advisor

And why can they not be generated from a section box once that is setup?

arulewich
Participant

Hellooo!! Any progress on this?

RPTHOMAS108
Mentor

Not sure how this would work in practice since scope boxes are used for setting more than just the outline of the crop box.

If you have a C-Shaped scope box and a grid/level passes vertically through it where do you stop the grids/levels, do you stop and start them (possibly). What if you have a C-Shaped scope box with elevation extents below an M-shaped scope box you could stop start the grids by elevation.

Or perhaps you just say: not permitted to set datum extents for shaped scope boxes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators