Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make all dialog boxes resizeable

Make all dialog boxes resizeable

Is is very annoying that some dialog boxes cannot be resized and appear as “always too small”. Please make all dialog boxes which contain any sort of list or item-tree resizeable.

One of the prime examples is the Transfer Project Standards dialog. It is very small but shows a very long list. Navigating that is unnecessary cumbersome.

dialog boxes resize.PNG

23 Comments
jkidder
Collaborator

I agree, another box that is always too small is the warnings dialog.

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision. 

The Factory

damo3
Advisor

Yes, agreed. I have noticed an effort by Autodesk of late with some dialog boxes getting this feature in the last few releases. I would just like to urge them to continue the effort. We don't expect them all done over night, but if I saw two or three get the treatment each release, I would be happy. Let's start with the longest list / commonly used dialog boxes like the one suggested above. 

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

Far too many Revit dialog boxes remain at a hard-coded size. This:

SWCStretch.PNG

doesn't really help me figure out what the real name of the Central file is.

And there's no way I can expand the dialog or hover over the name to see the end of the string.

Smiley Frustrated

chris.cromer
Contributor

Yes, this is very frustrating!  Thanks for submitting this!

damo3
Advisor

This is already under review...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/make-all-dialog-boxes-resizeable/idi-p/6667561

...and was the first hit when i searched 'dialog boxes'

lionel.kai
Advisor

@dplumb_BWBR For your specific example, in what situations are you seeing that? What Revit version? (maybe even what OS?)

In 2017.2 I'm not seeing that - my central path is not disabled, so I can select (and see) the whole path. I've tested both my own model, and a client model (where I get "Copied Central Model" and "Cannot Find Central Model" warnings), but neither show a disabled path in that dialog. I'm using Windows 7.

You also reminded me of this idea:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/quot-central-file-path-quot-and-quot-user-name-quot-param...

tkuenzler
Participant

I.e. Project Parameters window size is fixed. Long parameter names are not recognizable.ProjectParametersWindow.JPG

rasmus.oberg
Enthusiast

Great suggestion! This causes a great deal of frustration as many dialogs are almost unusable(project parameters, Select View/Sheet Set, etc). Hopefully it is relatively easy for the developers to adjust this, some were made resizable in 2019.1, I really hope that the rest will follow. Thanks in advance!

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

If it were easy, they would have done it already. Smiley Happy

Radish_G
Collaborator

And I like to say that the Revit should remember the resized size of the dialogbox.

lostagain
Advocate

How about this one:Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 12.56.52 PM.png

pieter5
Advisor

I'd love to see the following dialogs be resizeable

- purge

- sync to central (can't see the full path right where the central is right now)

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

Also, when a Dialog is stretched, not all the columns need to be resized proportionately.

For example, in lostagain's image two posts above, if I stretch the entire dialog,

I want to see more of the columns that have long values in them (Profile, Material, Side)

But I don't need the columns with Yes/No checkboxes (Flip, Cuts Wall, Cuttable) to get any wider.

I can adjust the individual columns manually if I need to, but when the entire dialog is resized, leave Yes/No columns alone

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Factory

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

We are pleased to say that this has been implemented in Revit 2022!

-The Factory

HADENSMITH3534
Participant

That sounds good, Kimberly.  By chance, does it also include the Options -- File Locations -- Project Templates box that cannot be widened to read the entire path?  It is possible to hover and read the whole path, or click into the box and scroll to the right, but boy would it be helpful to have the ability to stretch that column width!  (I am looking to get the time to install 2022 within the next few days, but thanks for the update.)

HADENSMITH3534_0-1619110283049.png

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

_dalewfd
Enthusiast

There are still dialogue boxes that can't be resized - the Fill Pattern Graphics one is driving me insane as pattern names have barely any room at all.

FillPatternGraphics.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report