Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link Keyboard Shortcuts to Autodesk Account

Link Keyboard Shortcuts to Autodesk Account

It should be possible to link user-specific settings, such as Keyboard shortcuts, to Autodesk Accounts. It should be managed through manage.autodesk.com

It would provide value to the users, as the keyboard shortcuts would be aligned regardless of which computer is used.

Many thanks,

Antonio

8 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same as previous comment... Great Idea! ‎

05-05-2021 01:28 PM 

Oh this is a great idea. Of course it should be like that!

kraftwerk15
Advocate

How often is this an issue for your teams? Are they changing computers every day?

Is there an option to have them save the .xml to a cloud location and copy/paste to their AppData folder?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This isn't a daily problem but if you work from home or have an alternate machine you log into, or upgrade your version of Revit it is a small thing that could be solved without requiring additional steps.  Because the current solution requires advanced planning it fails more times than not.  This greater profile attached to your Autodesk account could extend to your workspace layout.

colmDG4AB
Contributor

Great idea. Plus it really annoys me that Autodesk do not bother to create default shortcuts for all available functionally in Revit.  For example why isn't there a default shortcut already set-up for export PDF, DWG etc since they are typically used so much.

I'm happy that so many support my idea! It will be a daily problem for our users because we are implementing a new IT infrastructure where our users rely on multiple computers. Additionally, Autodesk should bring more value to users switching to user-based licenses using the Autodesk Account; it would provide a better user and IT experience if the Autodesk account could store user-specific or company settings and configuration. 

johan_van_mol
Enthusiast

Great idea.  This also solves another keyboard shortcut problem:

• When working with multiple Revit versions (because of the non-backwards compatible file format), you have to add any new shortcuts you want to use to all the installed Revit versions.  In my case: 2019+2020+2021+2022+2023
  • Having keyboard shortcuts linked to your Autodesk Account would solve this, as you're signed in to every Revit version with the same account.

Please also implement this for other "Revit options".  You can get some inspiration from Visual Studio Code's "settings sync" => all your settings are linked to your Microsoft or Github account, and are available anywhere you use VS Code.

1.) I work in several Revit versions on a daily basis, and when I create a new shortcut, I have to remember to also update all of the other versions of Revit.  Linking shortcuts to profiles would update all versions at once. 

2.) This week we were having some computer/server issues and I needed to switch around computers/logins.  Since we're already behind in production hours due to the technical issues, it would have been a nice touch to be able to log into a new computer and seamlessly start working in Revit. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report