Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve and expand Non-Core Wall visibility functionality

Improve and expand Non-Core Wall visibility functionality

The ability to turn off non-core wall layers in Revit 2022 in plan is a great first step but please allow this functionality to apply in all views and apply it to all family categories with compound layers like floors and roofs.

Second allow us to filter which elements this applies to. My firm has both structural and architectural working in the same models and structural’s needs are very different than architectural’s. Structural may need to show exterior finish layers like masonry veneer but not metal panel or wood siding.  Filtering for this would greatly improve flexibility.

Third, please allow us to control cut pattern by view for wall (or other compound assembly) layers. At our firm, structural has different hatch patterns than architectural and this has forced us to model our exterior finishes separate from our cores so structural can show walls one way and architectural can another, which is less than ideal.  Also, architecturally, we may want a hatch to show up in wall sections for one layer that we don’t want to show up in plan for instance.  Even with filters you cannot control this for compound assemblies since it applies to the whole assembly not individual layers.

Better yet allow us to filter by material for all components. We don’t always want an element's materials to display the same in every view. Filters work fine for singular things but not compound elements or families with multiple materials.

34 Comments
richardsachs4475
Enthusiast

It appears turning off non-core wall layers turns them off when they are cut in plan but not in projection. When the view range depth is set to show below the current level the outer boundaries of the wall finishes show. This should either be an additional setting or turning off non-core layers should turn off non-core layers no matter what. 

wr.marshall
Advisor

@kimberly.fuhrman please combine with: Only Structural Wall Sections - Autodesk Community

@richardsachs4475 I assume your idea same as linked idea. Please confirm

wr.marshall
Advisor

@kimberly.fuhrman read this again, sounds like @richardsachs4475  referring to projects below level or overlays, so please ignore the combine as this something different.

richardsachs4475
Enthusiast
I believe overlays are also an issue. It really need to apply to all walls in the view regardless of how they are being displayed- cut, beyond, below or overlay.
erinznire
Enthusiast

I like to utilize the visibility control for "Walls, Non-Core Layers" but it would be even more helpful to control all of the layers in the wall. For instance, I need to show some of the elements beyond the core like exterior insulation or interior gypsum. The workaround for me often ends up as drawing the extra layer with lines because putting these elements within the core creates worse issues elsewhere, and visibility depth or underlays are often more work than the line.

Perhaps it could be a coarse/fine/medium toggle per row within the wall assembly.

Thanks for Reading

Cheers

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @erinznire ,

Here is a similar Idea that has been accepted: Improve and expand Non-Core Wall visibility functionality - Autodesk Community.  I will combine your Idea with this one.

It is also shown here on our Revit Public Roadmap.

Thank you for your Idea submission!

-Kimberly

atis.sed
Advocate

Yes! We need to be able to turn off non-core layers below cut plane and leave the core layer visible! It makes no sense otherwise! 

armando1903
Explorer

Also when we are working with existing walls & new walls. noncore layers are off on new walls but on existing walls, its is difficult to dimension with this issue, unless there is a way to turn off layers on existing walls I don't know about. and if there is can someone help me.

armando1903
Explorer

Also when we are working with existing walls & new walls. noncore layers are off on new walls but on existing walls, its is difficult to dimension with this issue, unless there is a way to turn off layers on existing walls I don't know about. and if there is can someone help me.

bkmimiagaRSXY7
Explorer

Just like in plan views there needs to be an option in visibility graphics to hide the non-core layers of a wall in section & Elevation views.

Tags (1)
Fabian.OswaldS52TK
Enthusiast

It is possible to hide the layers of a wall that are outside the core in a floor plan view.

However, this only works in a floor plan view and when the wall is cut.

We hope that this will also work if the wall is not cut.

The option is also to be extended to other view types. Such as sections or 3D views.

cstc403
Explorer

This my be old school but back in 2008 I would create a structural core wall and then create a non structural wall layer.

Interior and exterior as separate wall. Then align the walls and when I attach them they would cut the openings in the non structural wall.

Then hide non structural in your structural drawings.

Non core layers may be a new thing.

It works in Revit 2021

infoK3R2R
Participant

'better graphical control'
We urgently need to show/hide individual layers of ALL compound families via the visibility / graphics.
'more accurate quantities'
We need each layer modeled accurately to retain accuracy in area/volume measures. See problems when embedding curtain walls!
'easier modeling of more complex wall layer conditions and joins'
Inserts, wraps and wall joints needs an overhaul, and each layer needs discrete controls (not just the wall layer function number)

cstc403
Explorer
Yah I did that like 20 years ago. Align the architectural wall with the
structural wall and join them.
Someone needs to actually advance the product.
Kind of condescending emails.
Sorry. I am Canadian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators