Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat/Straight Arcs

Flat/Straight Arcs

We often create families that have arched components where the arch height is parametric/variable.  This is great for arched windows, doors, openings, etc that need variability based on the design.

We control the arch height using reference planes that the arc line is locked to and a linear dimension.  Problem is that it is impossible to set an arch height of 0".  Doing this breaks the arc because it would then not have a radius.

So this means that if I am creating a door family and I want the option to make it an arched door or a flat top door, I currently have three options:

• created two separate door families (one arched and one not) - this puts a greater burden on our BIM management process because when we push updates, we have to update twice as many families.
  • create two separate nested families (arched and not) within the door family that are swapped via a family type parameter - this puts a similar burden on our BIM management as the above and also slows revit down as it processes changes to the family.
  • create two separate components within the door family (arched and not) and toggle their visibility depending on which one is needed - almost works, but complicates the family unnecessarily and doesn't work at all for wall openings/voids since their visibility can't be controlled.

It would be so much easier to do this if Revit was smart enough to allow me to draw and arc and set it's height to 0".

2 Comments
elmorei
Enthusiast

A great suggestion, and a good example of something where a small change from Autodesk (which already has to catch /0 and infinite radius arcs in order to stop them from breaking the program) dramatically simplifies the number of breaks and workarounds BIM managers have to deal with.

Other examples where breaks could be opportunities for improvement would be arrays of 1 and negative dimensions, situations where the intent is obvious but is prohibited for mathematical reasons.

For the flat arc example, allowing the radius dimension to go void and turning off dimensions associated with that parameter should be possible, with an error only necessary if it was used in a formula

AlexLibengood
Advocate

Thanks elmorei, I totally agree.  Allowing an array value of 1 has been a long-standing need as well.  Can't tell you how many families I've made that fake it by using a helper parameter to override the value of 1, make it 2, and set the distance between the 2 remaining instances to 0' so that it appears that there is only 1 there.  That generates a "two instances in the same place" warning, but is short of an actual error.  There's actually an idea posted for this here: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/allow-a-single-instance-of-a-model-array/idi-p/6352220, so if you haven't already, make sure you vote for that too!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators