Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fix SAT/3DM import material problem

fix SAT/3DM import material problem

there seems no way to give these guys a material except by category, and while you're at it please get rid of the old way of going all the way to object styles to change it, that's way too tedious.

6 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll suggest a hopefully simple solution to this. Currently a file with 3 materials imports as "Material 1" "Material 2" and "Material 3". The workflow would then be to assign an appearance to each of these or other properties for, e.g., keynoting or tagging. Importing the 3dm again erases this data and so the workflow is broken.

If imported materials could seek-and-use existing materials, then a robust workflow would be established. A Layer "BrickRed_VA" from a 3dm should automatically use "BrickRed_VA" from the material library, otherwise a new material "BrickRed_VA" would be created. Ideally this would not use the layer name but rather the material assigned to the layer or object.

andresmontemayor
Enthusiast

Adding on what adkaplan mentioned, the fact that we can't change the material that Revit assigned when it was imported is very limiting. Even if it's not possible for Revit to apply a material from the layer's name (which I don't see that hard), just giving us the ability to change the material would be one step in the right direction. Like adkaplan said, if I import 10 different elements, I will have 10 different materials which might in truth be the same one but in my material browser I have them duplicated since I can't change them all to the same one.

arek_keshishian
Advocate
or simply same material to all the elements in the same layer, and having
them as an instance schedulable parameter would be really great!

arek_keshishian
Advocate
or simply same material to all the elements in the same layer, and having
them as an instance schedulable parameter would be really great!

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators