Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix Manage site so updates are easily found

Fix Manage site so updates are easily found

It is a given at this point updates will come out for Revit (all autodesk products really) after release.  For anyone managing more than about a dozen machines this becomes an issue quickly.  The deployment of the initial package and subsequent updates is a nightmare in and of itself but finding the right files is the first issue. 

In most cases, a technician of some level wants a copy of the update, wants to apply it and evaluate how to install it as quickly as possible.  If they are on subscription (especially after R2) they must go to http://manage.autodesk.com/ or the site autodesk punishes you with for paying subscription/maintenance.  

So lets look at where those updates would be? 

Ah, here's "Product Updates" that should do the trick:

Nope.

Updates? Nope

This account has Building Design Suite Premium, Ultimate and just Revit Architecture.  And Civil3d. So really? No updates? 

Alright, lets see if we can find patches for Revit 2015.

NeedleHaystack.PNG

Notice that while I need updates I'm presented with both updates AND add-ins.  No way to pick one or the other.  The filter kinda works (I will note that if you enable both Revit and 2015 as filters it will tell you nothing is available). Search kinda works.  The actual updates are buried at the bottom of this list.  Maybe it would be best if I sort!

OldIsNewNEWEST.PNG

Notice that I set Newest first as sort.  The latest update for Revit 2015 is about halfway down the list.  How does this work?

Ok, so I've found my REVIT update.  But with Revit Arch you need a special update.  Let's change our search. 

NoArch.PNG

Really? really? The problem is I'm searching in BDSU, not Revit.  So I go to the other product, through the silly popup and do the same thing. Again newest doesn't really work, again the updates are buried.  But I can easily find the Portuguese language pack (WTF?).  

Fact is the naming conventions vary so "sorting by name" never works well, "by date" seems to work on an alternate timeline, and limiting to a particular package is iffy.  The filters sometimes fail completely.  Usually our best source for the actual downloads is Luke Johnson's "What Revit Wants" blog.  

So how about this:

• Updates separated from "addins & enhancements", maybe even separate language packs.  I'm sure folks looking for those specifically would appreciate that too. 
  • Then collected by software (i.e. AutoCAD, Revit, 3ds, Navisworks, etc) 
  • Then year
  • Sorted with newest at top. 

With 2015 you'd end up with a list of about 26 items AT MOST to weed through.  Reality is you'd probably only see about 6 as some of those releases should not be used for any reason.  

I doubt ANYONE wants the gargantuan, unsearchable (by browser) lists.  Yes it looks nice, but functionally it is useless. 

Maybe once this is fixed we can talk about sticking with install strategies? 

2 Comments
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report